Oscar PH 7.8

• MissTeaLow
  • MissTeaLow's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

MissTeaLow created the topic: Oscar PH 7.8

Hello! I'm just getting started with Oscar tank and was told that 7.8 PH is too basic for my Oscars. This is the PH level straight from my tap. He recommended adding peat pellets to my canister filter to lower the PH, but I have heard I'm the past the PH isn't a big deal as long as it is stable. I just want happy healthy fish and the pellets seem like a cheap and easy fix, but if it isn't necessary then I can certainly find another way to spend my money :cheer: I am not willing to dump in PH down chemicals... Waste of money and I want too do something natural if that is the group concensus. I have tried driftwood in a previous setup and did not notice a pH decrease.... OK experts....advise me please!!

75gal tank ( please don't harp me on tank size for 2 Oscars....I am looking for a new tank. I believe it is fine for now... I live in Podunk, MO and it may take a few weeks to find an adequate used tank. They are only 2" long, so please understand that I acknowledge and accept previous advice)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscar PH 7.8

Leave the PH alone. What's more important is the chloramine/chlorine levels and total dissolved solid levels (TDS), and any trace metals. Look up your water authority report for 2012. It will have information of what should be in your tap water.

If you use Seachem Prime or Seachem Safe or Kordon Amquel, you will be ok.

Has this tank been cycled?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Oscar PH 7.8

As stated, a PH of 7.8 IME is far too basic for Oscars long term. Oscars kept in hard, alkaline water long term will be stressed by it, & can develop health problems. I again would advise that you use peat, not chemicals, to make the water soft & acidic.

7.8 is a very basic PH value that Rift Lake African cichlids would do well in.

Having bred Oscars in the past, &, as stated, they are an Amazonian fish, just like Angels & Discus, & they do prefer acidic PH values & soft water.

We recently had a member ask why when she was doing everything right, her Oscars (which were in a 300GL tank) were getting HITH. Turns out, she kept them in extremely hard, alkaline water.....being kept in that water causes stress, & stress lowers the fishes ability to fight disease/infection/parasites.

I assume that you use dechlorinator when performing WC's.

Also, I did notice also that you came up w/ a 0 nitrate reading.......since nitrates are the end result of a functioning biological filter, a reading of 0 is virtually impossible. Rocksor has posed a question about that subject 2X. Please inform how you came to this result.

NOTE: I will be moving this post to the proper place.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds