hard WELL water and high ammonia levels

• craiger
  • craiger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

craiger created the topic: hard WELL water and high ammonia levels

Im in a rural area with my own well,the water test shows very hard.I have treated the water with aquarium salt thinking this would solve the problem the level does not seem to be improving,what can I do.Also I just went through a bout with ICK,I removed everything from the tank,washed the gravel,set up a new filtration system,filled with fresh water that I added both stress coat and start-zyme to.Now I have a bad and I mean bad white to green cloudy water problem.I have treated with TopFin water clarifier and I have been keeping the filters washed clean also the water does not smell very good.It's a 65 gal. tank with lots of air and the biggest water filter I could buy.Right now I only have 2-plecos about 9 inches long and 3 big gouramis in the tank.Please help,I am running out of ideas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: hard WELL water and high ammonia levels

Hello... you may need a water softener to bring your water down. At 65g and your stock level, your tank is overstocked. Big plecos are a huge strain on the bio-load of any aquarium. With new filters and steady cleaning you are not yet cycled, meaning your filters have not developed a bacteria colony to turn ammonia to nitrites and then nitrates. Stop putting additives in the tank, the start zyme is worthless. The best thing to do is reduce your stock, in particular rehome the plecos, and do every 2nd day 75% water changes, using Seachem Prime or the powder form Safe as a conditioner. It neutralizes ammonia for 48hrs. Leave the filters alone, and when cleaning, only clean the mechanical portion. Dont touch the bio media. What kind of filters are they? Keep your temps in the low 80's. The salt will be removed via water changes, dont put any more in.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: craiger

• craiger
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

craiger replied the topic: hard WELL water and high ammonia levels

Hello
The filter unit is a AQUA-TECH,filters are a blue polyfiber carbon pad screen and a black coarse mesh Bio-Fiber that it says eliminates ammonia and nitrite.The filter unit is supposed to be big enough for 60 to 70 gal. tank and the temp is steady at 78 degrees F. The reason I have been cleaning the filters is because they plug up and the water just bypasses over the top.The ammonia level is at high (danger) zone and I thought I should keep the filters clean in order to keep the water flowing through them to reduce the ammonia and nitrite levels.What would you suggest???? Thankyou in advance!!!

While the Aquatech is a decent mechanical, meaning dirt catching, filter, it offers next to nothing for biological filtration. So, your tank is seriously under filtered. Your ammonia is high from over stock and no filtration to combat the ammonia. The black coarse sponge like thing in front of your blue cartridges is supposed to be your bio filtration. Its very inadequate. Ideally, you need a medium sized canister filter that holds a good amount of bio-media. This is ceramic rings or noodles as some call them. The beneficial bacteria you need to combat ammonia will grow in this media. Until you address your lack of filtration and overstock, large frequent water changes are a must

The following user(s) said Thank You: craiger

• craiger
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

craiger replied the topic: hard WELL water and high ammonia levels

I'm out in the country in wyoming any suggestions on where i get the canister type filter you speak of....some place online maybe?

Yes, online is the best bet. I would check Amazon, Drsfosterandsmith, Ebay maybe. I'm Canadian, so my sites are different, but another American member will surely help you out

• Thank you received: 4

hellimonster replied the topic: hard WELL water and high ammonia levels

If you haven't gotten one already, I got an API FilStar XP Aquarium Canister Filter from www.petsolutions.com . They had the best reviews that I could find and got ours pretty quick and works great. Just had to buy some extra Filstar Bio Chem Stars cause it only comes with six and calls for way more.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: hard WELL water and high ammonia levels

I would also strongly recommend you get a quality book on fishkeeping & do some reading on filtration & how the nitrogen cycle works. After reading your posts, it appears you do not have a firm grasp on these subjects, & you absolutely need a working knowledge of them to be successful in this hobby.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 4

hellimonster replied the topic: hard WELL water and high ammonia levels

True Darth, read, read and research. Plus there is always something new to learn. Also, when you do get a canister or any filtration, always get one bigger than you think you need. I have a 75 gallon tank and have a filtration system good for 175 gallons and plan to also get an HOB soon. My oscar is little so we are good for now.

One thing to keep in mind re filter ratings.. doesnt apply to tanks with large cichlids. An xpl can realistically manage no more than 90g, with 1 fish of decent size only. Yours would cover the 75 fine, but adding a big hob all the better. Never too much filtration on an Oscar tank

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds