new tank no readings

• zeke
  • zeke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

zeke created the topic: new tank no readings

So I got a new api master test kept and in the new tanks I get no reading for nitrate and ammonia at all they have been in the tanks for a few days

EDIT:

I moved this into the appropriate category. Please ensure your put your posts where they belong, this is for official announcements only.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Re: new tank no readings

Is the tank cycled?? And you sure you following the directions exactly?? The ammonia, nitrite, and ph test are pretty straight forward but the nitrate test is very important to follow the directions exactly as written. Regent nitrate tests are questionable and semi unreliable even if the directions are followed and junk if you cut corners, when you shake bottle 2 do it very aggressive to the point of banging it on your hand or a table top the reason being is the regent in bottle 2 will seperate and harden up some in crystals you need to bust up those crystals to get an accurate test

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Re:Re: new tank no readings

no reading means 0?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Re: new tank no readings

Stupid question I know, have you got fish in the aquarium?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: new tank no readings

Test your tap water to have a baseline water parameter going into the fish tank. Let a cup of tap water sit out for 1 day.

In using bottle number 2 of the nitrate kit, you must shake it real hard for at least 2 minutes (bang the bottom on the counter, shake it like your life depended on it , etc.). There are zinc particles that clump up when it sits on the shelf for more than 7 days.

• zeke
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

zeke replied the topic: new tank no readings

I can get a reading on every test as in a color but ammonia it doesn't turn any color just stays clear all my levels are 0 ppm in nitrite and nitrate ph 7.4 and no color in ammonia

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: new tank no readings

Being totally uncycled with fish in there has to be some coloration on the ammonia test. If anything, the nitrate should be clear, as you havent been running long enough to have enough bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite, then nitrite to nitrate. I presume you have put 8 drops from each test bottle and let sit for 5mins?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• zeke
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

zeke replied the topic: new tank no readings

They are 2 75 gallon tanks I bought and let sit for a week with just a gold fish in each to help build the bacteria up I am running 100 gallon rater filters since for now its not the best set up I know I'll need 150 gallon tanks latter just got a lot of wrong info so that was the best I could do I can't get a color out of the tank though no color at all

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: new tank no readings

A week of sitting with a goldfish has really done nothing to cycle your tanks. Not really absolute nothing, but nothing measurable. You must have ammonia, its a natural product of fish breathing thru their gills, and their waste. So, that leaves 2 options, you are doing the test wrong or the ammonia test portion of your kit is no good.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: new tank no readings

The ammonia results are wrong if it is clear. It should always start yellow = 0ppm.

8 drops of bottle #1
8 drops of bottle #2
Shake, and it turns yellow instantly

What is the expiration date on ammonia bottles? If there is no expiration date, then each bottle should have a lot #. The last 4 digits correspond to month and year, so 1014 means October 2014. The ammonia bottles expire 5 years later, so October 2019 in this example.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds