Good or bad algae

• Bigzimm204
  • Bigzimm204's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Bigzimm204 created the topic: Good or bad algae

Hey everyone I was just doing some work on my tank and had a question about algae, is there a good algae or is it all bad and I was wondering if anyone knew the different colors of algae and what it means?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Good or bad algae

Having algae means that there is too much light and enough nutrients in the water to feed it. The nutrients come from excessive feeding and not enough removal of organic waste through water changes and gravel vacuuming.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Good or bad algae

Algae is more of an eyesore then anything else.

I have heard that brown algae can be linked to high nitrates but I am completely unsure if there is any truth behind that.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Good or bad algae

I get brown quite a bit, not killer, but noticeable......I change the water every 3 days, I don't over feed, & my tanks are all under stocked.....I am guilty, however, of leaving my lights on waaayyyyyyy too long.

I generally don't clean the backs of my aquariums all that much....just the sides & front for viewing. I think it helps control nitrates.

If it does get out of control, please refer to what Rocksor posted. Simply cut back on light & feeding, & step up the frequency & volume of WC's. Algae need light & nutrients like nitrate, phosphate, etc to prosper....cut back on that & you will cut back on algae.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds