Test kit options...

• claudia1066
  • claudia1066's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

claudia1066 created the topic: Test kit options...

I've been using API Master Kits for many years and never thought much about it, but I recently read somewhere that the Salifert Nitrate test might be a better option over the API one. Apparently this test requires 3 reagents, and the Salifert test keeps all 3 separate, whereas API mix two. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Also, not sure how old my API kit is. I have a couple of the Master sets mixed up here. How long do they stay viable for? I've looked on the bottle labels, and aside from a Lot #, there's nothing to indicate Manu Date or BBF. Assuming these are 3 years old, is it time to bin them and buy a replacement?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Test kit options...

It is fine when you test prior to a water change or a few hours afterwards. The Salifert is more pinpoint, and great for reefers. However, the cost is not really justifiable for freshwater keepers who are just concerned about keeping nitrates below 20ppm.

the last 4 lot numbers are MM/YY they were manufactured. so this will help to determine the expiration date. 5 years for nitrate test, 5 years for ammonia test.
The following user(s) said Thank You: claudia1066

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Test kit options...

I am not familiar with Salifert, but I use a Nutrifin, by Hagen nitrate kit. It is also a 3 bottle kit, with the 3rd being the one you shake the b'jeepers out of, as it has the zinc crystals that settle on the bottom. And yes, at 3yrs I would toss and replace what you have. Hard to say if one is better than the other, you would need dif brands to compare readings. If you got an unlikely reading from one, that would prob be suspect.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Test kit options...

I am a big fan of API, especially the master kits.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• claudia1066
  • claudia1066's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

claudia1066 replied the topic: Test kit options...

Sheesh, going by the last 4 digits, all my tests are waaaay out of date. New master kit arriving tomorrow. Thanks for that tip on dating the bottles by Lot #.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds