Tap water is high in nitrates..... Should I worry?

• claudia1066
  • claudia1066's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

claudia1066 created the topic: Tap water is high in nitrates..... Should I worry?

Or not?!

This is sample of tap water taken just now.

My aquarium is reading 40ppm nitrate so I am performing a large water change to reduce it, but with tap water like this am I wasting my time? :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Tap water is high in nitrates..... Should I worry?

With nitrates that high out of your tap. I wouldn't do a water change with that water. I don't know if you know but oscars are very sensitive to Nitrates they can get a condition called Hole In The Head.

Firstly doe a secound test on your tap water just to make sure; sometimes if its not done right you can get duff results.

Yes worry, but we have the technology.

You seem to be in the same boat as me. I have 100+ nitrates out of my tap. I'm supplied by east anglia water there absoloulty crap, freind of mine just bought a house in the area. When they did the survey for they checked the water, apprently the water qulaity is illegal or beyound uk/eu regs.

That said Ive kept my O for 2 years now and have avoided HITH. My fish have a higher water quality than I drink.

There are a number of soloutions, but most of them are quite exepnsive.

I think seachem prime removes nitrates, but I have never used it because I bought a RO unit before I got my oscar. Useing Prime isn't really a long term soloution

The cheapest option I think is useing plants, but lots of plants. If you have a sump you could plant that would be awesome. You can try putting some in the top of the tank, but I don't think you will be able to fit enough in. If your lukcy your might have one of those weird oscars that doesnt shred plants and you can plant the tank itself. I have some Anubias left but its not looking particulary healthy to be honest.

The quickest long term solution is a reverse osmosis filter will reduce the nitrates coming through your tap. The down side to this is that at best you will get 20-30ppm it splits the water 1:3 where 2/3rds of your water is waste. thowing away 900 liters per change is not fun.

You can buy RO water at some fish shops but last time I looked it was like £10 for 25L. its not really a long term soloution.

You can also buy plain tap water from sainsburys or tesco I think its 14p per 2 liters. When I tested it there was zero nitrates. I bought loads of them. fillled the tank from empty and within two days I was readin 20-30ppm in the tank.

YOu can get nitrate removers I have tried Fluval and Seachem. I have found purigen is more effective even with a smaller quantity.

I have recently bought a nitrate filter. Nitrates go in - zero nitrates come out.. I'm in the progress of writing a review at the moment.

I bought my tank for £80 and built my stand. So I used what I saved on buying anti-nitrate gear.

My current arsenal consists of about 500ml of seachem purigen (I think) a Vyair 50gal per hour 5 stage RO unit and the biggest gun is my Deltec NFP509.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Tap water is high in nitrates..... Should I worry?

This is not unusual for people in the UK.

I did a test with my tap water which has 5ppm nitrates. I haven't seen Prime remove nitrates at the normal dosage or even up to maximum 5 times the normal dosage. It took more than the 5 times normal dosage to remove the nitrates. Seachem even states it's just what customers have reported.

• claudia1066
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

claudia1066 replied the topic: Tap water is high in nitrates..... Should I worry?

:( I'm kind of stuffed because this is the only water I have access to right now. It's the same water I've been using for the Malawi Cichlids and mixed tropical, and the Oscars I kept a few years ago.

Been looking here www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/nitrate-filters-c-242.html at the nitrate filters, but they seem complicated to me. :blush:

www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/aqua-medic-400-nitrate-reductor-p-5430.html

Denitrification filter for aquaria up to 400 litres. The Nitratereductor NR 400 is a completely sealed biological filter. It is operated at a very low flow rate. The filter can be installed in almost any position, inside or outside the aquarium or the cabinet. The water flow is provided by connecting to a standard canister filter, power head or by pass circuit. The filter medium – Deniballs – is consumed and requires replacement in 9 to 12 months dependant on load. For optimum control we recommend the filter be used in conjunction with an Aqua Medic mV controller or an Aqua Medic mV computer. The filter is already equipped to accept our specific pressurised electrode. Dimensions - without electrode

"The filter is already equipped to accept our specific pressurised electrode" - what's that mean??? :unsure:

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Tap water is high in nitrates..... Should I worry?

Looks like the aqua medic ones are sulfur based.

Uh electrodes are kind of an inductance sensor aren't they?. In which case it my be a sensor for chemical level or redox, which would then be used to control the flow into filter. Whatever it is I suspect its something to to with flow rate or tells you when you need to replace the ball things in it. I think its an option that you don't really need.

email the guys at charterhouse aquatics Im sure they will tell you everything.

Theres these guys as well

aquaripure.com/

I don't know if you can get them in the UK. They supply bassically the same kind of filter but they make them for smaller tanks. You might find a cheaper one better suited for your tank.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Tap water is high in nitrates..... Should I worry?

I don't think I would be considering a nitrates filter. I would say the easiest option for you is to purchase something that will remove nitrates for you. Something like the following, click on the link below.

www.cdaquatics.co.uk/seachem-de-nitrate-500ml-p-1784.html?ut...=Freelistings&utm_campaign=&gclid=CI2Usb-0ybwCFUT3wgodB0sAQw

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Seachem de-nitrate is for low flow rates. I don't know what your flow rate per filter is but I suspect its more than 200lph. You could make a filter for a lower flow rate or stick it in a fluidised reactor and it might be more effective than seachem matrix I don't know.

For high flow rates you need seachem matrix or pond matrix. I assume pond matrix is the same stuff just better for ponds.

As i happens I use seachem matrix as well, but I don't think it has much contribution for reduceing nitrates. Its just pumic-like stones which you use as/with your media.

If your looking for something to put in your filter Seachem Purigen is much more effective; which I also use. Whilst its very good; it is limited. The more you stuff into your filters the lower your nitrates will be; but it does run out.

You then can either bleach it and rinse it in prime to re-use it or you have to buy some more.

In either case Im sorry to say this but I don't think it would be enough to deal with 100ppm.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Tap water is high in nitrates..... Should I worry?

I don't think your nitrates are 100 ppm. Check them in an area where you have plenty of natural light. I found that if you check them where there is not good light, they look darker than they actually are. I just checked, and apparently the regulations in the UK state that nitrates in tap water shouldn't be any higher than 50. It states that there are times when these are breached, normally join the summertime or a drought. Well, we certainly don't have a drought at the moment.

Thankfully it's not a problem I ever had. Just as a matter of interest, why don't you get your neighbour to give you a sample of their tap water and see what reading you get there.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Sorry captain have to interject here.

Yes its hard to beleive 100ppm out of the tap, but like I said a freind of mine just bought a house and the survey said his water quality was well over the limt.

But yes definatly check again and make sure your test is right. Do it 5 times if neccasary.

I don't know how drought can cause nitrates to increase in tap water; but I know that agricultural run off gets into the system; which is full of nitrates; with alot of rain alot of nitrates can enter the waterboard. If you are in a highly agricultural area this may be the cause.

I found this iss a few months ago when I came back from christmas and my oscar was shwoing signs of HITH. I made a number of phonecalls first to Vyair who supplied my RO filter.They said that they are getting complaints from all over the country saying there filters aren't working.

They are; but they just can't keep up with the increase in nitrates.

• claudia1066
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

claudia1066 replied the topic: Tap water is high in nitrates..... Should I worry?

I must admit to feeling pretty P'ed off at the level of nitrates I'm getting out of the tap, I've used 2 separate tests (one purchased today with a Use By in 2017) both with horrendous readings. I live a couple of miles from the coast and we're sandwiched between two rivers, both of which are seriously flooded and have been for a few weeks now. Could all this flooding affect water quality? I assume fresh water supply is a closed supply, so don't really know how anything could leach into it. But maybe all the rain affects the sewage plant. It's about 6 miles away. I am almost positive I've not had this problem before. I am anal about water quality, and surely would have noticed a nitrate level like that!!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds