Tap water is high in nitrates..... Should I worry?

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Tap water is high in nitrates..... Should I worry?

Ive had 40ppm before but this is the worst ive had as well. I noticed it go up just after crimbo. I think it was up before that and affected my pre-christmas water changes. So i was putting in bad water without even knowing it.

Got back my fish was showing signs of HITH. I was really upset and thought I might have to give him up. My RO pump is on its way put as well so drastic times called for drastic measures.

The only thing i know about water supply is that they collect and store in reserviors. So its unlikely the river nearby supplies your water. Its probably a large body of water miles and miles away, which is proabbly supplied by a number of rivers that all run through farm land.

In either case considering giving up your fish because you can't provide high enough water quality is horrible. I got my nitrate filter because I dont want to be in that situation again.

OFL pointed somethng out that I failed to mention, yes its likley to be seasonal so you could hang on with RO water from your LFS, but make sure they check the nitrates before you buy it. They are probably on the same water supply. Talk to them and find out how they are dealing with the issue.

Fish day tomorrow right?!

Are you picking him/her up from the store?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• claudia1066
  • claudia1066's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

claudia1066 replied the topic: Tap water is high in nitrates..... Should I worry?

Found this on the SWW website www.southwestwater.co.uk/media/pdf/e/2/WQ5v2_1013_-_using_tap_water_to_keep_fish.pdf

And have just phoned up for a water analysis report. Should be here in 48 hrs. Woman on phone wouldn't commit to what their nitrate levels should be.

Yup, fish being delivered tomorrow. Should be here at 4pm.

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Tap water is high in nitrates..... Should I worry?

Good work!

ve tried the same with my water supplier but they were never that helpful and were trying to charge me if I wanted to get someone to come out and test the water quality.

ITS FISH DAY!!!!

and also valenties day but who really cares aboiut that anyway....

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds