Hard Water

• Overkill
  • Overkill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Overkill created the topic: Hard Water

First post, getting ready to start stocking a 125gal SA tank. I esed my water and here are the results:

PH - 7.6
KH - 89.5
GH - 214

I am concerned about GH. Will SA cichlids adapt to the OK? Or, will I need to mix ro/di in my partials?

I'm not that familiar with hardness, so why would kh and GH be so different out of the tap?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Hard Water

I would state that it's due to the mineral content of your ground water or perhaps what your water company puts in the water, if applicable. That's a question best posed to your supplier(again if applicable).

An easy way to soften water for SA cichlids is to use peat in a canister or even a HOB. I do it in my Oscar tank.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Hard Water

To be perfectly honest, I think it would probably be safer if you didn't try and mess with your pH. Your pH is just above neutral and is perfectly okay for Oscars, assuming that those other fish you are going to keep. What you have got to remember is that our thousands of different tributaries in the Amazon, a lot of them have different water conditions. So if you are taking fish from various areas, you're never going to give them all ideal conditions to live in. If I was you, I would just get your fish when the tank is ready for them.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Overkill
  • Overkill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Overkill replied the topic: Re:Hard Water

I'm not messing with ph. I know the ph is fine. I am mainly worried about GH. That is a really high reading. I am worried about fish acclimating after being in soft ro/di water at LFS.
Thanks Darth, I never heard peat would soften water. But, I know it can lower Ph...

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds