Do I WC or not?

  • Liz-Louise
  • Liz-Louise's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 49
  • Thank you received: 0

Liz-Louise created the topic: Do I WC or not?

Our tap water is >40ppm nitrate. Have been doing 30 - 50% WC every 2nd day but Matrix and Purigen filter media seems to be kicking in and my in-tank nitrates are dropping.

Last water change day before yesterday (30%).

Current tank readings are:

Ammonia, ~0.25ppm (treated tank with Kordon AmQuel Plus yesterday.
Nitrite, zero
Nitrate, >10pmm <20ppm
pH, 8 (normal for my tank)

Fish happy and perky, but just checking I can postpone WC because I've treated ammonia? And just wondering how long yesterday's ammonia treatment lasts? Can't find info in product blurb. Do I treat daily?

Obviously the high pH and ammonia reading concerns me, but I have taken delivery of my new RO unit but am still waiting delivery of a couple of tap fixings and suitable storage containers. Was hoping to be able to wait a couple of days, so next WC can contain the RO water, so as to avoid upping my tank nitrates to 30-40ppm again by adding tap water.

Can I safely postpone?
#373510

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1759
  • Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Do I WC or not?

Why are you getting an ammonia reading? Are you still cycling or is your tank under filtered?

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.
#373511

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Liz-Louise
  • Liz-Louise's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 49
  • Thank you received: 0

Liz-Louise replied the topic: Re:Do I WC or not?

jmunroe wrote: Why are you getting an ammonia reading? Are you still cycling or is your tank under filtered?


This is a new set up. Ammonia started showing 2 days ago.
#373512

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Liz-Louise
  • Liz-Louise's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 49
  • Thank you received: 0

Liz-Louise replied the topic: Re:Do I WC or not?

Anyone?
#373517

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1759
  • Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Do I WC or not?

Usually these products will neutralize for 48 hours. I would do a large water change every 2 days and re treat. I would worry more about the ammonia reading with the high pH which makes it more toxic, than the high nitrates. Your fish will be alright for a bit in the higher nitrates but not the ammonia at that pH.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.
#373521
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liz-Louise

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1759
  • Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Do I WC or not?

I believe the product your using claims that it neutralizes nitrates as well. Nitrites also. So you should be fine with a large water change and retreat every 2 days until your setup. Don't forget to use a mineral supplement with the RO water.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.
#373522
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liz-Louise

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 597
  • Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Do I WC or not?

Your tank isn't cycled.

Ammonia and nitrite are very harmful to your fish over a short period. Nitrates aren't as harmful for short periods, but sustained high nitrates is an issue. YOu are already taking steps to solve nitrates over a long period so lets tackle the short term first. I would say do the water change; clear out that ammonia.

The high ph is caused by the ammonia.

The use of Seachem matrix and purigen is a good start in tackling nitrates. I'm glad youve invested in a RO filter. You will need to use this alot. Once you have set it up test the nitrates comeing out of the filter.

The requirement of mineral supplements in my opnion is debatable, people who advise you need it often don't use RO units.

You need to give us a bit more info.

Can you tell me what brand and flow RO unit you have?

What fish do you have in the tank?

How big are these fish?

What size is the tank?

What type of tests are you useing? Test strips are not reliable. You need a liquid test.
#373523

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Liz-Louise
  • Liz-Louise's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 49
  • Thank you received: 0

Liz-Louise replied the topic: Do I WC or not?

Sosban Fach wrote: Your tank isn't cycled.



Yes, I know.

Sosban Fach wrote: Ammonia and nitrite are very harmful to your fish over a short period. Nitrates aren't as harmful for short periods, but sustained high nitrates is an issue. YOu are already taking steps to solve nitrates over a long period so lets tackle the short term first. I would say do the water change; clear out that ammonia.



Thank you, that answers my question. :-)

Sosban Fach wrote: The high ph is caused by the ammonia.



No, it's not. Our tap water is very hard and its pH is 7.7. The pH of all my tanks (including the cycled ones) have a pH of 7.8. I have just tested this tank with a pH meter and it's 7.9, so about what I'd expect. This morning's reading was taken using an API test from the Master set. I am assuming my calibrated pH meter is giving the more reliable reading.

Sosban Fach wrote: The use of Seachem matrix and purigen is a good start in tackling nitrates. I'm glad youve invested in a RO filter. You will need to use this alot. Once you have set it up test the nitrates comeing out of the filter.



Yup, intend to test TDS going in and coming out of the RO unit.

Sosban Fach wrote: The requirement of mineral supplements in my opnion is debatable, people who advise you need it often don't use RO units.



I do intend to add. Will be using JBl Aqudur, not least to buffer the pH.

Sosban Fach wrote: You need to give us a bit more info.



Happy to :-)

Sosban Fach wrote: Can you tell me what brand and flow RO unit you have?



V2 Pure 100. Output, 100 US gal/380 litres per day. 3 stage.

Sosban Fach wrote: What fish do you have in the tank?



One baby Oscar.

Sosban Fach wrote: How big are these fish?



10 cm

Sosban Fach wrote: What size is the tank?



250 litres.

Sosban Fach wrote: What type of tests are you useing?



I have the standard API Master kit, plus additonally use Tetra NO3 liquid test and pH and TDS meters.
#373531

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 11056
  • Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Do I WC or not?

Ammonia will drive down ph when in sufficient quantity, but you don't want that to happen as the Oscar will get hurt by that much ammonia.

When ammonia hits 0.5ppm (or when nitrites hit 0.5ppm), do a 50% water change. You'll need a little ammonia to cycle the tank. The tests will read ammonia and ammonium (non-toxic ammonia) so using Amquel will protect the fish for roughly 24-48 hours.

Work on cycling the tank first before worrying about nitrates.
#373532

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Liz-Louise
  • Liz-Louise's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 49
  • Thank you received: 0

Liz-Louise replied the topic: Do I WC or not?

Rocksor wrote: Ammonia will drive down ph when in sufficient quantity, but you don't want that to happen as the Oscar will get hurt by that much ammonia.

When ammonia hits 0.5ppm (or when nitrites hit 0.5ppm), do a 50% water change. You'll need a little ammonia to cycle the tank. The tests will read ammonia and ammonium (non-toxic ammonia) so using Amquel will protect the fish for roughly 24-48 hours.

Work on cycling the tank first before worrying about nitrates.


Okay, many thanks. Just received the last bits and pieces in the mail that I need for the RO unit, so I'll get cracking on setting that up. Should have some viable water over the weekend, fingers crossed. Will be happier when I can get the pH down a bit.
#373535

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds