Bacterial Bloom problem

• ernie
  • ernie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 97

ernie created the topic: Bacterial Bloom problem

Hi all, Have had my tank for about 5 months now 2months to cycle and 3 months with fish. Having constant problems with cloudy water which I believe is bacterial bloom. Tank is 5x2x2 filters are 2 x aquamanta efx 1500 population is 6 x 4"baby Oscars 2 x Bristlenose and 20 x danios(feeder fish which I used to cycle tank with) I only plan to keep 2 Oscars hoping to get a compatible pair then rehome the remaining 4 , the danios will end up as food Oscars showing a fair bit of interest at the moment. My water parameters are 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 40 Nitrate 0 Phosphate and currently 10% water changes twice weekly. My water sometimes is clear but never crystal clear but more often a little cloudy. LFS has suggested smaller water changes 10% I use to do 40% but wants me to do smaller for about a month? I have a sachet of purigen in each filter not sure if it is helping or not?
1. Am I doing anything wrong? 2. Do I need to do something else? 3. Should I just leave and see what happens?
Can anyone help with suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Bacterial Bloom problem

your seriously overstocked. that tank should house only 1 oscar with no tankmates.

your nitrates are too high already.

you need to do a 75% water change weekly.

cloudy water is likely due to the poor water quality, not bacteria bloom.

your idea of keeping 6 until 2 pair isnt a good one. they will likely all be dead or develop disease before that. they are already subjected to high nitrates.

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Bacterial Bloom problem

bacteria blooms usually happen when the filters can't keep up with the waste produced, with 6 small oscars in a 5' tank this is kind of to be expected.
the amount of water you change has nothing to do with the bacteria bloom as your BB (beneficial bacteria) reside in your filters. the filtration seems to be good, tho i do not have any experience with that specific brand of canisters.

i would start doing 3x 50% waterchanges a week and using a water conditioner like aquasafe, easylife conditioner or something alike. also hover over the bottom of the tank to remove any fish feces.

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi
The following user(s) said Thank You: ernie

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Bacterial Bloom problem

Yup more water changes not less and correct your over stocking problem.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 10

Peeps replied the topic: Re:Bacterial Bloom problem

As said you are overstocked. One oscar per 75 gallons is all that it can handle.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Bacterial Bloom problem

people had said their thoughts about over stocking... and your nitrate at 40ppm is already critical....
you need to make a good large water change to protect your fish. Gorgoroth is correct.... bacteria bloom
can happen when your filter can not cope with the waste.

can you brief me about your filter maintenance. there are times wrong handling of filter cause more
troubles than helping the fish tank like when you lost most of beneficial bacteria during cleaning...

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Bacterial Bloom problem

As stated, that tank is overstocked.....that tank is a "wide" 150GL, if I remember correctly.......6 4" Oscars will overwhelm your filtration......what type of media do you have in those canisters, & as I'm not familiar w/ that brand, how are they set up internally (media baskets, etc)....& as asked, how often do you clean them & exactly how are you cleaning them?

Regardless, @ the end of the day, you will have to rehome 4 of them.....you simply have too much stock for that size aquarium.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Bacterial Bloom problem

Cut back to feeding every other day or every 3rd day. Heterotrophic bacteria is fed by organic waste (poo, food bits), which accumulates due to insufficient water changes . I would also go bare bottom tank in the mean time so that you can see the waste build up.

Less water changes will not remove the organic waste. Do 2 75% water changes in one day, and that should bring nitrates below 40ppm. Whenever nitrates look like 20ppm, do 50% water change.

What test kit are you using?

• ernie
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

ernie replied the topic: Re:Bacterial Bloom problem

Hi all, thanks for your time taken to help me with my problem.the overwhelming consensus is that I am very overstocked and need to increase my water changes.I will reduce my population down to 2 Oscars,tough decision on deciding which 2 to keep. Answering a few questions my filters have 4 canisters from the top, carbon,wool pad purigen and phosphate pad the 2nd and 3rd sponge and ceramic noodles the 4th sponge and ceramic balls.I use Seachem Prime for my water conditioner.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• ernie
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

ernie replied the topic: Re:Bacterial Bloom problem

I replace the carbon and wool pad every 8 weeks and have only cleaned 1 filter about 8 weeks ago which was done with tank water and gently shaking the media baskets.the 2nd filter is only about 3 weeks old and I haven't touched it yet.My test kits are api liquid and I know how to do nitrate test with the 30 and 60 second shaking. Another question does having 2 canister filters increase the amount of bb I have in the tank? and should I clean my filters more frequently? Once again thanks for your help I appreciate your opinions.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds