Water testing question

• Nyx
  • Nyx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

Nyx created the topic: Water testing question

Ok this may be a silly question but it's regarding water testing. How soon after taking the water from the tank should you test it? What I'm really getting at is this... A friend of mine wants me to test her tank water. So what we would need to do is she would collect the tank water either the night before or the morning of a day we work together then brings it into work with her. So I get home about another 10-12 hours later where I would test it. Does any of the water chemistry change from just being in a container for 12+ hours? Or would the readings still be accurate?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Water testing question

Hmmm.. not sure how that would work out?? How about lending your friend the test kit?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Nyx replied the topic: Water testing question

I never thought of that lol. Well she really just needs to buy one. The tank is cycling and it would come in handy. But it had me wondering how much the readings would change from being right out of the tank versus 12+ hours later.

• Thank you received: 18

mishka replied the topic: Water testing question

You should just either let her borrow it or go to her house and show her how to test, though they are pretty good at directions, but yes she definitely needs one!

I would assume 12+ hours later would give you inaccurate reading.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Water testing question

Better still, bring your kit to work and do a quick test before shift start, or coffee break.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

That's a good idea Suprd. My brain is apparently burnt out for today, I never thought about that.

But yeah that's what I'm thinking mishka. Oh! I could always test it out myself. Maybe test some of my tank water and pull some out and test it say 12 hours later and see how different if at all it is.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Water testing question

Nyx wrote: Ok this may be a silly question but it's regarding water testing. How soon after taking the water from the tank should you test it? What I'm really getting at is this... A friend of mine wants me to test her tank water. So what we would need to do is she would collect the tank water either the night before or the morning of a day we work together then brings it into work with her. So I get home about another 10-12 hours later where I would test it. Does any of the water chemistry change from just being in a container for 12+ hours? Or would the readings still be accurate?

Why don't you do a test and tell us..Test your tank.. then leave some of your water out overnight and test in the morning and see if you get the same results.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Oh shoot. I totally fell asleep without testing the water. I'll have to test soon. But if anyone else wants to weigh in in the meantime please do!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Water testing question

It doesn't matter how long you wait to test a water sample. If anything the tank will have slightly higher nitrates than the sample that sat out overnight. But you probably won't be able to see a difference.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Ok thanks for the answer Rock! I believe you but for my own curiosity sake I'm going to test it out as well.

So I just did a test on thor's tank. The readings are as follows:
ph 7.4,
ammonia 0ppm,
nitrites 0ppm,
and nitrates 20ppm.

So put the rest of the water in a container and will test it again in about 24-26hours. I will probably even test the tank water again to see how much if any it's changed in that time period. However my friends I cycled tank would surely change more in 24 hours than my appropriately stocked and cycled tank. But this just had me curious lol.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds