My discovery

• irodri25
  • irodri25's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

irodri25 created the topic: My discovery

So I knew my tank was cycled yet my test results still showed some ammonia so I tested my tap water and it has ammonia on it.....is that why my test results still show ammonia?

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: My discovery

If your tank is properly cycled then it doesn't matter whether you have some ammonia in your tap water, you should still get a zero reading. Now this is something to consider, if you were to change a large amount of water all at once, I suppose the chances are you would detect some ammonia. When I would recommend you do is contact your water company and tell them what's happening. It may well be that it's not ammonia in the water, but ammonium, which is a less toxic form of ammonia.

Can you please tell us what readings you are getting when you test the water from your tap, and the aquarium water. It's not unknown that you detect some ammonia when carrying out now random tests. Normally it's a very small amounts that you test for, probably 0.25, any more and you got a problem. Obviously it's important to look after your biological filter. This means not switching off your filter for too long. Don't wash your biological media out in tap water, and never under any circumstances replace all biological media with new media.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• irodri25
  • irodri25's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

irodri25 replied the topic: My discovery

my readings for ammonia were .25 I use the API master test kit and when i tested my tap water its the same thing but it even says i have .25 in a tank that ive had for maybe 5 years with 2 guppies and havent changed filter media recently on that one it is a 20 gallon. If it is ammonium would that be bad for my fish? My nitrites are at zero in both tanks and there is some nitrates in both tanks also. I have been doing 75 percent water changes everyday on my 55 gallon because someone told me my tank was still cycling , yet even after i do the water change i still have .25 ammonia

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds