High pH..... It's driving me nuts

• claudia1066
  • claudia1066's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

claudia1066 created the topic: High pH..... It's driving me nuts

My tank is now cycled and I'm switching to RO water. I haven't 100% switched to RO water, but am on my 3rd 50% water change where I added 98% RO water (3 litres of boiling tap water are added to warm the RO water). I am adding Seachem Restore to the RO water prior to adding.

My tank is bare, except for 1/4 inch layer of gravel and a large piece of Mopani bogwood. I have a Fluval U4 running to help oxygenate the water (standard filter pads and ceramics inside it), an external Hydor heater and Eheim Ecco 300 canister filter (containing Purigen, Matrix, ceramics and course sponge).

My grief is with the pH. Is continually levels out at 8.2 - 8.3 after a couple of days. After WC pH it is around 6.8.

Water change due tomorrow.

Current tank readings are:

Temp: 26*C / 78.8*F
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20ppm
KH: 4
TDS: 321

Our natural tap water is high in nitrates ~30ppm, hard (KH: 7) with a pH of 7.6. I was hoping the reduction in hardness and the introduction of remineralised RO would help lower the pH permanently. I am obviously concerned about the pH swings.

What's going on? Anyone have any idea? And what can I do to stabllise the pH? I don't have room to add peat pellets as my filter is full. Or will things improve with a 100% switch to RO?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: High pH..... It's driving me nuts

Can I ask what test kits you are using to measure pH?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• claudia1066
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

claudia1066 replied the topic: High pH..... It's driving me nuts

OFL wrote: Can I ask what test kits you are using to measure pH?

I have a pH meter.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: High pH..... It's driving me nuts

Electronic PH meters need to be calibrated, using a known PH value. They are a pain in the a$$, which is why I use a liquid kit.

If after a WC your PH is 6.8, then goes up to 8.6 after a couple of days, but your tap is 7.6, I would suggest 2 things:

1) That PH meter is not functioning properly. Start using a liquid kit. Accurate, easy, & inexpensive.

2) There is something in that tank driving up the PH. There has to be something that is buffering that PH that high...good lord, that's the PH of Lake Tanganyika!! Any coral? What is your substrate? What kind of rocks(if any) are in that tank, & where did they come from?

But I would either figure out how to calibrate that PH meter (& I don't know, it's been a VERY long time since I did it, contact the manufacturer) or go out & get a liquid test kit......I don't think your getting an accurate reading, & can't judge what's going on without accuracy.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: High pH..... It's driving me nuts

i do agree with Jack on this.... pH meter need to be calibrated using a solution of high PH....
i have 2 pH meter right now... on the first try to use it without calibrating, it make me worry for
i always have high pH.... but whenever i use the old one that we used in waste water treatment,
it gave me good reading. after re-calibrating the new pH meter with the solution, it does work fine...

there are 2 powder sachet: the low pH (4.01 pH @ 25deg C) and the high pH (6.86 @25 deg C)....

• claudia1066
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

I am sorry but I am unsure why you all assume I would be using an uncalibrated meter? I find it rather patronising tbh. Of course, I've also got the API master kit and use the liquid tests when testing all parameters, but the meter is quick an easy for more regular testing. I also have a Seachem pH monitor inside the wall of my tank. All in all, I think my capacity to accurately gauge the pH is solid. Thanks.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Sorry you took it that way....when you ask questions, we have to do "detective" work based on info you provide, & give info based on experience. I would have given the same answer regardless of the gender of the OP.

Frankly, you insinuating that I or anyone would base our replies based on your gender is insulting.

We are trying to help you figure out why your PH is jumping all over the place. I never accused you of not knowing what you are doing, rather that the PH meter might not be working properly. If you're going to get defensive on a simple reply, & not answer questions asked of you, but instead basically chide us for replying to your post, I'm not sure why you would ask questions in the 1st place or that we can help you at all.

Again, if that PH is jumping all over the place, & winds up @ 8.6, (if I am understanding you correctly) then there is something in that tank that is acting as a buffer.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• claudia1066
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Directed to Darth Nandoposos alone:

OMG. What a rude person you are. What has my gender got to do with anything? You raised that. So it is of consideration to you, obviously? I am very sorry I don't have a cock between my legs. What an arrogant misogynist you come across as. Many of your posts on this forum are inappropriate and potentially offensive. If you dislike women and novice questions, then may I politely suggest you delete those members from your forum? Or, perhaps, stop accepting their join requests in the first place.

To everyone else who has helped me in the past:

I do apologise. None of the above comments are directed to you; everyone else on here has been so friendly, helpful and made me feel welcome. Thank you all for your help over the past years. Good luck with your fish and best wishes to you all.
Me? I'll try and find help elsewhere. x

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

"I am sorry but I am unsure why you all assume I would be using an uncalibrated meter? I find it rather patronising tbh"

So, what exactly was this phrase supposed to mean? Perhaps you should look up the word patronising before you run your foul mouth?

I am most definitely not a misogynist. I do, however, hate PEOPLE that ask questions & then don't like the answers they get, & then act like a foul-mouthed 5 yr old spoiled brat, which, by your incredibly rude & unwarranted statements, YOU definitely are.

Foul language in a discussion is the medium of the unintelligent, which you have just also proven yourself to be.

Your might also want to look up the definition of rude. That is something you certainly are. I was never that way to you. I gave answers based on your questions, & stated some questions to you, which you refused to answer.

If you might not like the answers, don't ask the questions.

This old adage applies to you: "Better to remain quiet & be thought a fool, then open your mouth & remove all doubt". That's you in a nut-shell.

Again, I wish you well in finding answers more suited to your liking. And you won't have to worry about being a member of this forum. Foul language will not be tolerated. Good luck in the real world w/ your attitude & mouth. They will get you far, I'm sure. :pinch:

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: High pH..... It's driving me nuts

Well , being that I am a female I would most certainly have your back here Claudia , but he really did not say anything gender based.
You have to keep in mind that most often we have no way of knowing the experience level of the new forum members.
So him asking if the pH meter was calibrated was just a warranted question , rather than a gender based insult.
I find your language in your response quite offensive and feel that if it was solely directed to him it should have been done so in private. And even then I would find it offensive and unwarranted.
Everyone here is taking time out of their day to help. Some answers may be a little more blunt as others , and some questions may seem like we feel that you are not very experienced , but you have to keep in mind that until we get to know you better we are not aware of your experience level.
No one is here to do any harm or insult anyone.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds