Peat questions.

• mwhite638
  • mwhite638's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

mwhite638 created the topic: Peat questions.

Hey guys , I've been wanting to get my ph down by running peat in my filters. Out of the tap my ph is around 8. Will it be fine if i do my water changes like normal, and will running peat have any affect on the ph when I'm doing 75% twice a week? Also my water is moderately hard, will using peat cause any Gh changes, and any shock from that? Thanks for any input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Peat questions.

Peat lowers TDS, KH, GH, and PH, so just don't throw it into the aquarium and think it will do what it needs to do. You can lower PH and GH without lowering KH. What this means is that the PH will go back to the tap water value if it is not lowered. The additives to your water will determine what your KH is.

You need buy the following :

High/Low PH tests
TDS meter
GH/KH tests.

1. Run a baseline test of your tap water in an aerated 5 gallon bucket. This will give you the values for PH, GH, KH, and TDS for your tap water. 2. Then you have to run many tests and see how much peat is required to lower it to desired values. The water must flow through the peat. You need test the following (not in your aquarium).
3. Next you need to test how many water changes are required for the peat to stop working. The first indication that it has stopped working is if the KH value goes up.

Pond peat pellets are cheaper than the regular boxed peat pellets. Peat (3 Cubic foot bags) from the garden store or home improvement store are really fine and float really easily, and unless you have a system to make the PH water, I would not use these 3 cubic foot bags.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Peat questions.

To use peat safely you really need to treat your water change water in a separate container so as not to create massive fluctuations in the ph, tds, gh, and kh

I use to use natural Canadian peat moss in a 60 gallon peat filter system to modify my water, running it in this system for 48 hours would drop my ph from 7.8 to about 5.5 and would my kh & gh would drop from 3 & 8 degrees respectably to 0 on both and drop my TDS from 325 to 225

I have a build thread on my system ill see if i can dig it up

*found it
www.oscarfishlover.com/index.php/forum?view=topic&catid=49&id=301973

• mwhite638
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

mwhite638 replied the topic: Peat questions.

Thank you guys , the answers you gave me were exactly what I was wondering. I haven't had a chance to look at your thread yet, but I will when I can.

So .. Let's say I use an ounce of peat (just giving an example idk how much is really needed) in a filter in a 5 gallon bucket, and it drops it 1 ph value. Does that mean I could use 25 ounces of peat in my 125 to drop it to the same level as in the bucket ? Sorry if that sounds confusing I couldn't think of a better way to ask.

Also, could you guys explain how water changes work when running a peat system? I'm confused on how you can add regular dechlorinated tap water to a tank and not put your fish in shock when that water hasn't been treated thrOugh the peat.

Thanks again.

• mwhite638
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

mwhite638 replied the topic: Peat questions.

Just read the thread on your peat system big ken, and that answered my question about water changes.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Peat questions.

How far your ph drops depends on your kh and gh levels of your tap water. You need to measure more than the ph because if the kh does not drop, the ph will bounce right back to the tap water ph.

You have to run multiple experiments to figure out how much peat to use. The experiments will tell you how much peat to use, and how fast the kh, tds, ph, and gh drops if you dont change the water. Do not run the experiments in your aquarium.

The most stable way is to create the peat water in a 44 gallon trashcan, and then you pump the water into your aquarium. Changing the water by 50%, doesnt mean that you change the PH by 50%. For instance if your peat water is 6.0 and your tap water is 8.0, then PH produced is not 7.0.

Altering the water is not that easy and things can go wrong fast for your fish if care and preparation are not taken.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Peat questions.

Ill echo rocks warnings, peat works very well to alter your water chemistry but take your time and understand what your doing you can cause lots of harm if you dont

Also keep in mind below a ph of 6.2 nitrifying bacteria ceases to function and you will lose your cycle so keep a close eye on your ph to make sure it doesnt drop to far

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds