Noob question

• Kris1520
  • Kris1520's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Kris1520 created the topic: Noob question

So I'm new to water testing, by new i mean my test kit should be here by friday. I've been doing some research but I never wanna take anything I just read online for granted. What levels am I looking for generally?

As per my assumptions with PH I'm looking for 7 or thereabout.

Ammonia Nitrites and Nitrates I am guessing 0ppm? Nowhere seems to be clear but I'm going on the assumption the lower the better here,.
The same assumption goes for KH and GH though I don't think my test kit covers them.

I went with the API Test Kit, what are your opinions?

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000255NCI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Noob question

i assume you are running the tank already... are you cycling the tank the fishless way or you did get some fish to start the cycle.
pH = 7 is idea but you can go between 6.6 to 7.4 with out problem... i am not particular with kH and gH but ammonia=0
nitrite = 0 and nitrate = not higher that 40... 40 means you need large water change but while cycling , it will take time to
reached that level... at the early stage of cycling, any trace of nitrate means you are developing beneficial bacteria in the filtration
system...

you will not go wrong with API liquid test kit but caution must be taken so that it will not be contaminated nor diluted...

good luck and welcome on board to OFL!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kris1520

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Noob question

PH is one of those thing that unless you really know what you're doing it better to leave it alone so unless it's really high (7.5) or low (under 6.0) i wouldn't worry about it
and ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate below 20 and kh and gh aren't really important in most cases

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Noob question

2x on the first 2 posts....

just a side note - in a cycled tank you will always have nitrates. it is produced as a byproduct of the cycle and the only way to remove them is water change.

and yeah - thats the kit you want.

• Kris1520
  • Kris1520's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Kris1520 replied the topic: Noob question

Thanks everyone!

The water the fish are in have been cycled, but underwent a filtration change and due to the circumstances that really could not be avoided. I'm really happy I got the right kit then though, was worried it'd be incorrect and I'd end up with bad readings. I don't really wanna mess with PH but the water company here is so untrustworthy and we often have bad water conditions, I just wanna be monitoring it in the event something does go wrong. I'm happy I was along the right track though so thank you all for the reassurance.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds