Nitrates at 20ppm?

• Cynthia
  • Cynthia's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Cynthia created the topic: Nitrates at 20ppm?

I have conducted a nitrate test; Nitrates read at 20ppm according to API Liquid test kit.
Does this sound right? I did administer the test correctly.

One Oscar in a 55g tank, canister filter, heater, and a cycled tank.

The reason why I am asking is that previously a member here suggested to do two water changes per week because of my tank size (I was doing them), however, I have tested after a week and 20ppm show up. Should I do only once a week water changes or do two water changes per week as suggested by the member?

Thanks
Cynthia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Nitrates at 20ppm?

If your nitrates are 20 ppm after one week then you don't need to do any more water changes, Just carry on doing what you're doing. But remember that nitrates may increase if for instance you feed your fish a little bit more. If your Oscar is an adult fish then you're probably best feeding it just once a day, even every other day, an adult Oscar does not need to eat a lot of food.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cynthia

• Cynthia
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Cynthia replied the topic: Nitrates at 20ppm?

Thank you will do!

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Nitrates at 20ppm?

how long do you shake the bottles before testing?

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• Cynthia
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Awhile. I did not check the time, but I did shake the bottles both especially the second one.

The liquid was not clear, but fuzzy white. I can check again and see if I get the same results.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Nitrates at 20ppm?

It is hard to tell the difference between 10ppm and 20 ppm. If it looks 20ppm, do a 50% water change, and that should bring it down to 10ppm.

2 water changes does not guarantee a nitrate reading below 20ppm. A change of 3 days can cause nitrates to read closer to 20ppm. The more your feed, the higher the temp, the faster nitrates will be produced. Nitrates should be tested every 3-4 days within the first 2 years of the oscar's age. After 2 years old, you will be able to gauge how often a water change will be required.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Nitrates at 20ppm?

There are other considerations besides nitrate levels. There are dissolved metabolites in the water column and also a growth inhibiting hormone that is excreted in Oscar's urine. Oscars urinate and defecate constantly. I'm sure I may have been one who recommended 2x water changes. While you can certainly maintain w/c sched by following 20 nitrate guideline, and your Oscar will surely be "ok", these fish thrive, and do better with growth, color and longevity with the cleanest water possible. I wouldnt say by any means you are making any errors, but I personally like to encourage people to get the most from their fish.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Nitrates at 20ppm?

Look @ it this way......a 55GL aquarium is a drop in the bucket for a robust omnivore like an Oscar; I consider that size aquarium to be below bare minimum for that species. As Suprd71 stated, Oscars are prodigious waste producers.....& in a smallish tank like a 55, your water quality will deteriorate rapidly, regardless of filtration. I would recommend either doing 50% 2X per week, OR 95% 1X per week, both with a thorough gravel vacuuming.

Example....I have single specimens of N. Beani & P. Motaguensis in 55GL aquariums.....they get 75% WC's 2X per week, & are thriving.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Cynthia
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks Rocksor
Feeding every other day as requested by you a while back, the temp is 79F

"Nitrates should be tested every 3-4 days within the first 2 years of the oscar's age. After 2 years old, you will be able to gauge how often a water change will be required. (Rocksor)"

What do you mean? Can you explain this to me?
Why must you test the water 3-4 days when the Oscar is young? How can I determine how many water changes to do when I got the Oscar when it was an adult already? I adopted the Oscar from my LFS; the Oscar is unfortunately stunt.
How often should I be testing for Nitrates?
Thank you

Suprd71
"There are dissolved metabolites in the water column and also a growth inhibiting hormone that is excreted in Oscar's urine (Suprd71)" Is this why the Oscar is stunt? Interesting, but sad...
I understand and will do more water changes. I own Goldfish too and I do 75%-90% water changes on them every 3 days; I did not know Oscars were similar in that respect. Thank You

Darth Nandopsis
Ok will do. I think I would rather do more water changes along the week then to do a drastic one once a week. I think the Oscar will be more comfortable. Yes the tank is an issue; currently looking for a 90G tank at least. The tanks substrate is sand I rather have sand than gravel I think sand is easier to clean plus the Oscar likes to make holes in the sand. Thank You

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Nitrates at 20ppm?

You test while the oscar is young because as they get bigger they put out more waste. Are you certain the fish isn't growing anymore? Has it maintained it's size in the last 4 months?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds