Seachem safe questions

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier created the topic: Seachem safe questions

My 1kg container of seachem safe arrived today! I have questions though before I use it:

It says to add 5g (1tsp) to 750L (200gal) of water to remove chlorine, or 5g (1tp) to 900L (250 gal?) to remove chloramine, or 5g to 150L (40 gal) to remove 4ppm ammonia. My tanks are cycled so ammonia isn't an issue, but how much should I be adding (680L tank, ~600L of water)? Just the equivalent amount to remove chlorine (so... 4g) or is it a good idea to add a bit more?

Also, my hot water service is a piece of s*** so I can only do a ~65% water change for my big tank before it runs cold (I found that out the hard way then spent an age getting the temp right bucket by bucket by boiling a kettle... gah). Anyway, if I'm only doing a partial change should I still add enough seachem for the whole tank, or just the amount of water I'm replacing, or somewhere in between? If I add enough to do the whole tank each time it will eventually accumulate in the water. Could this be an issue?

FInally, is it normal for it to smell a bit like rotten eggs? I know a lot of these water purifiers have sulfur-containing compounds so it isn't unexpected, and don't get me wrong, I got a good laugh out of seeing my significant other thoroughly traumatised after he couldn't resist taking a big whiff of it, but still! Just checking that it hasn't gone off or something.

Edit: I forgot the main thing I wanted to ask :whistle: I'm quitting the bucket brigade, so when adding stuff like safe or prime, can I just dump it into the tank then fill with water, or turn off the filters, fill with water then put it in, or something in between?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Seachem safe questions

Check your water authority report. It should state the amount of chlorine or chloramine is put into your tap water. if it says 3ppm or higher, use the dosage for the full tank volume 1teaspoon. If the report says 2ppm or lower, you can use half the dosage. It will not accumulate, many of the components breakdown anywhere from a few hours to 48 hours.

Yes it will smell.

Add Safe before you refill the aquarium in the same area where the water is entering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lammergeier

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Seachem safe questions

i just got this stuff myself.... ive somehow never came across it. saves me a decent amount of money on water conditioner.

and yeah... this suff smells exactly like rotten eggs

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Seachem safe questions

Cheers, thanks Rocksor.

Chlorine here is very low - fluctuates between 0.25 - 0.75ppm according to the water quality report I've found. There's no chloramine in the water here either. I could honestly probably get away with a 1/4 dose, but I think I'll go for a 1/2 dose anyway. From what you've said it shouldn't do any harm... and yep,I thought that adding safe then new water was the way to go, but thought I'd double check.

@MetalHead88: I haven't seen any at the LFS around here, but I grabbed some on ebay - I'm just going through money at an alarming rate with these fishies :silly:

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Seachem safe questions

i havent seen it in the stores either. i also got mine on ebay.

13 bucks treats almost 25000 gallons of water (when talking about using it for chlorine) pretty solid.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds