losing bacteria?

• Nyx
  • Nyx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

Nyx created the topic: losing bacteria?

For the past 24hours my power has been out. I've read over all thr stuff on this website about power outages but I'm concerned that I'm losing my bacteria and will have to go through cycling again. heres some info, its a 75gal 1 oscar tank. i have been running a battery powered air pump on it since about 20minutes after the power going out. i have a whisper 30-60 on it now (which is cycled) and a eheim 2215, which i just installed a few days ago. The bio media of the hob is still submurged in tank water. i am concered about losing the bactiera in it. th power is supposed to come back on with in the hour as long as nothing else happens. I'm still in town so i could grab a bottle of bacteria that is sold if anyone thingks it'll help.

any advice would bs awesome! and sorry for all the typos, I'm using my cell phone and its hard to type with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: losing bacteria?

You will be ok, the canister in particular no problem. The Whisper dont offer much for bio in the first place, but submerged media and the battery pump should save everything.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: losing bacteria?

You'll be fine. Bacteria lives a lot longer than 24 hours. When my power is out I just run a pitcher of tank water into the filter every so often.

Soon as the power comes on do a water change.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: losing bacteria?

I did forget the fact that your canister is still a new setup. So it isnt seeded anyways. You are still good. Any concern, just do a water test. Skip the bb in a bottle, a worthless product.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: losing bacteria?

I would strongly recommend you purchase a sponge filter (run it all the time on a regular air pump) & also a battery operated air pump....it will cycle w/in 10 weeks, & then if you do lose power, you will have a cycled biological filter.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Nyx
  • Nyx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

Nyx replied the topic: losing bacteria?

Alright, thanks for the advice everyone. The power just came back so I'll do a water change.

I'll check them out Darth. I plan on replacing the whisper once the canister seeded, thanks for the advice!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: losing bacteria?

I would keep the Whisper....I have one as additional filtration on my 75GL Oscar tank....I use it as a peat filter, so it lowers my Philly tap water, which is usually around 7.5 - 8.0. Takes it down to around 6.4 - 6.8.....& Oscars LOVE "blackwater". B) If you don't want to use peat, you could always fill the filter cartridges full of filter fiber....will help to "polish" the water.

Also, you can never over-filtrate a cichlid aquarium, so why not keep it? Can't hurt.... B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: losing bacteria?

Or you can open the canister, put a 5 inch bubble disk in the tank and put the media from the canister into the aquarium on top of the bubble disc.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds