Drug makes fish brutal and greedy

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy created the topic: Drug makes fish brutal and greedy

I was reading up on the net on some benzodiazepines ,esp. Oxazepam. and found this study done some time ago. I never thought about that problem, but it worth the read.
Here it is:
www.newscientist.nl/nieuws/medicijn-maakt-vis-brutaal-en-gulzig/

www.citg.tudelft.nl/fileadmin/Faculteit/CiTG/Gezondheidstechniek/doc/Artikel_NRC_Jan_Peter_van_der_Hoek.pdf
But since your Dutch language is not perfect yet, i let Google do his thing.

Drug makes fish brutal and greedy
February 15, 2013 | Ans Hekkenberg | Plant & Animal

Certain antidepressants that end up in rivers and oceans via wastewater, change the behavior of fish.

In case of the Bass, their living water is contaminated with residues of antidepressant medications have fish less anxiety, they are less socially and eat them faster than their peers. Ecologists conclude that the Swedish Umeå University. According to the researchers, the behavioral changes ecological consequences.

The ecologists investigated how bass react to the drug oxazepam, a sedative that reduces anxiety and stress in people. When people use Oxazepam, their urine contains waste material. These come through the waste water in the habitats of fish correctly. During their research, the ecologists showed bass swim in water that contained a similar dose oxazepam as the water around densely populated areas in Sweden.

"Normally reticent bass and hunt them in schools. The bass that swam in oxazepam were significantly less afraid, "says research leader Tomas Brodin in a press statement.

The drugged fish also behaved less social. They left their school and went on their own in search of food. This behavior brings the necessary risks with it, because the formation of schools of fish protects against predators. To the surprise of the researchers, the bass ate faster on their own meals. Why the fearless fish ate quickly, is still unknown.

Because fish are an important part of the ecosystem, a change in their eating behavior according to the ecologists may entail major consequences. If fishing is much faster food, water, other residents may believe less easy food. This can disrupt relationships among species. :pinch:

According to the researchers, it is a global problem, because in many places drug residues from entering the water. Brodins colleague Jerker Fick advocates filter in water treatment plants. These resources out of the water To filter all drug residues from the water purification companies must adapt their systems.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Drug makes fish brutal and greedy

interesting study

and just shows that we affect other animals with even the slightest of things without even knowing or thinking about it. And that drugs dont just effect the users they effect everyone. Man or other animals alike.

Have you seen the studies on spiders and drugs?

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

Noddy replied the topic: Drug makes fish brutal and greedy

You mean this one , Jnet? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Or was it a serious question?? :dry: :huh:

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Drug makes fish brutal and greedy

^^^^^^
Nice one!

Noddy replied the topic: Drug makes fish brutal and greedy

thanx....and if it was meant seriously, she'll whoop my @ss ,since she knows where my house lives. :ohmy: ;)

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Drug makes fish brutal and greedy

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Big Sigh tut tut; I was being serious :evil: :evil: :evil:

interesting vid but no thats not the one I was on about but guessing its based on the studies ;)

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Drug makes fish brutal and greedy

Fire eel vid !!!!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds