Water ?

• Freek
  • Freek's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

Freek created the topic: Water ?

I tested my water last night got some readings that worried me and need to know if Im on the right track to get it fixed
Ammonia .6
Nitrite .3
Nitrate 10ppm
See this got stressed did a 50% WC tested the next day got same readings. Also noticed one of the oscars not eating and changing color for long periods of time hiding in a corner sulking
I have been doing 25-30% WC every other day and testing water daily
Running a Fluval c3 on a 45g holding tank while I wait for the new 125g to finish the cycle
In tank are two 3inch Tiger Oscars. I know its not ideal but better then the 20g I rescued then from
The topic has been locked.
  • Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Water ?

What are you using to test water? Test strips?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Water ?

You should try dosing the 125 with tetra safestart. Being that your two oscars are not in the most ideal conditions I would want to get them in the 125 asap. How long have you had the 45 up and running was iy cycled before you put the oscars in if so you may have lost the cycle. its sounds like your 45 is cycling and you should be using a liquid test kit not strips.
  • Freek
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Freek replied the topic: Re:Water ?

Liquid test kits is all the local pet store sells
The 45 has been up for over 5 months gave the fish away that was in it till i get the 125 up
I will pick up some safestart today to try to speed things up in the 125

PS The oscar that was changing color sulking has his color is back and is swimming around still hasnt eaten
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Water ?

What are you using as an ammonia source in the 125 ? What are your current readings on this tank and make sure two dose for the whole tank over dosing is ok. Two bottles should be sufficient for a 150 so your covered. Dont wc for about a week or so after u dose
  • Thank you received: 27

Craigsfish replied the topic: Re:Water ?

I still believe in the Wiess Bacter boost to help with emergency cycle. It is 100 percent organic and I still believe it helped me cycle quicker. My tank still remains stable and I'm pretty sure it will stay stable. Hope you get your water under control real soon !!!
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Water ?

Freek wrote: Liquid test kits is all the local pet store sells

Liquid test kits, API is the most common in the US, are better than strips, so you are good on that score, though usually the ammonia and nitrites also register in ppm. What kit are you using?

Glad your oscar seems to be feeling better.
  • Freek
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Freek replied the topic: Re:Water ?

Poseidon2.0 wrote:

Freek wrote: Liquid test kits is all the local pet store sells

Liquid test kits, API is the most common in the US, are better than strips, so you are good on that score, though usually the ammonia and nitrites also register in ppm. What kit are you using?

The liquid Kits the pet store here in Canada sells are the Nutrafin dont know why they arent in ppm. They are registered mg/L
As for the ammonia source in the 125 and levels I used feeder fish as i dont care if they die along with a gallon of holding tank water to try to get some good bac started
current levels are
Ammonia 1.0 slowly dropping
Nitrite .8 and climbing
Nitrate 10
Its been going for about 15 days
  • Thank you received: 27

Craigsfish replied the topic: Re:Water ?

Keep up with the water changes. Looks like its heading in the right direction. Your Nitrite reading is a bit concerning, water change water change and more water changes...
  • Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Water ?

This is concerning:

"As for the ammonia source in the 125 and levels I used feeder fish as i dont care if they die along with a gallon of holding tank water to try to get some good bac started"

Hopefully you weren't giving your Oscars these as a food source......absolutely no nutritional value & carry a wide variety of parasites/pathogens, which will be passed to your fish.

Transferring water from another tank does nothing except transfer dirty water.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds