Is it possible?

• Craigsfish
  • Craigsfish's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27

Craigsfish created the topic: Is it possible?

OK, My buddy called me last night. He has a 30 gallon tank with some Angels and other smaller community fish. He tells me his water is the clearest he has ever seen and states its turning over 12 times per hour with his filtration. He lost about 4 fish yesterday and he does not have a test kit. States that temp is fine. Where I am concerned is that he says since his water is so crystal clear he has not done a water change in about 2 weeks. Could his water be that clear and possibly still have ammonia or nitrites killing his fish?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Is it possible?

that is very possible that this is the reason for fish death. (especially 4 at the same time)
depending on how big the angel fish are and what else he has in it the 30 is probably over stocked. that with the combination of neglect on the water changes - its more then likely that the water contains high nitrates.

just because water is clear doesnt mean its suitable for fish.

i'd advise him to get a liquid test kit.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Is it possible?

Clear water does NOT = pristine water. No test kit = not good. Can't really help w/ no parameters, but no WC for 2 weeks is also classified as not good.....especially since we don't know exact # of fish & all species involved, & as most people tend to overcrowd FW tanks, dissolved metabolites are probably through the roof......do you know what the filtration is, make & model(s)?

What is the temp exactly? Higher temps X feeding = too much waste + not enough water changes = BIG problems.

OR....the Angels are preparing to breed & are killing all other life in the tank.....but I'm going w/ my 1st instinct.....poor water quality.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Is it possible?

Answer is yes. His water can be crystal clear and still be at lethal levels. He would need a test kit to know what's going on. And with that stocking in a small tank it's probably at lethal levels. How big are the angels and what else is in the tank and how many exactly?

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Craigsfish
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Craigsfish replied the topic: Is it possible?

Yep my thoughts exactly...going over tonight to help him out with a wc and taking my kit. I will be very curious to see the results!!

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Is it possible?

Absolutely the lack of proper w/c is killing the fish. You cant see the harmful elements in the water. Crystal clear means nothing. He could have an overstock problem as well, making w/c all the more important.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Is it possible?

Yes. You can have crystal clear water and still have high ammonia levels. My tap water registers at 0.5 ppm ammonia and is crystal clear for example. He definitely needs to test it. Also how large and how many Angels are in the tank? That may affect things too. How established is his set up?

ETA: Ha. There were 0 responses when I started to write this message!

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Is it possible?

Lol I know me too. No responses when I stated typing and then 3 or 4 people give the exact same answer. Good to see were all on the same page.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Craigsfish
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Craigsfish replied the topic: Re:Is it possible?

Ok, just talked with him. He has a AC 110 on 30 gallon, temp is at 79 degree give or take a degree, 2 angels, well now 0, 4 molly's- 2 now, and 4 of them weird guppy tail guppy's which all survived ironically. You would think the Angels would of been the most hardy of the bunch though. Anyway yeah it has to be his water condition imo. Lol I should not help him at all, he the one that broke my 125!!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Is it possible?

Let me take another guess.....he bought the aquarium, filter & fish all @ the same time & set it up the same day. I would bet good money it's pretty close to that description. :pinch:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds