Bacteria in a Bottle

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Bacteria in a Bottle

I wasn't referring to cycling the filters more quickly, only that it neutralises ammonia while leaving it still available for the biofilter so the filter can still cycle... eventually. At least, that's what seachem claims www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Safe.html .

If it's neutralised I don't really see why it'd be an issue to wait for the biofilter to re-establish, unless seachem safe is toxic at the concentrations needed to neutralise ammonia. That's always possible I guess - I've never used it for this purpose, just speculating. But yes, if your goal was to cycle the filter quickly rather than neutralise the ammonia, then I can certainly see why you used the safestart, and it is good that it worked for you (especially for your son's sake!).

Anyway, I do apologise but I didn't read your thread in detail - I just skimmed over the pictures with the readings you had while using the safestart... sorry! :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Bacteria in a Bottle

I wanted to avoid exposing the loach to the ammonia and nitrite spikes as and the poor water quality while cycling again. Using prime wont speed up the cycle

I also want to clarify something I just remembered tetra does say that the bb will not be matured and to avoid over feeding and not add too many fish at one time something like one per week. so imo its not a magic tonic that you can just throw in and stock your tank with but in certain situations it may be valuable

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Bacteria in a Bottle

Article stating that Nutrafin Cycle contains pathogenic bacteria due to poor unregulated processing.

www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/W08-015?journalCode=cjm#.U9Zb0yiGfYQ

Rocksor whats your opinion....plausible ? Garbage ? Or great ?

Not worth the money. Without proper regulation there is no guarantee that it will work 100% of the time.

Fair enough.

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Bacteria in a Bottle

Interesting article, thanks for the link Rocksor. An interesting correlation with that paper is that a year after it came out Nutrafin claimed to have changed the bacterial formula in Cycle. The reported ingredients list in my OP was written in 2010, so I assumed it refers to the new formula, not old (if they changed it as claimed).

The LFS should give you your money back for a failed product that is guaranteed to work. Without that guarantee then the bottles of bacteria are not worth the money.

I haven't heard of a LFS giving refund for bacteria in a bottle products.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Bacteria in a Bottle

LFS will refer you to the manufacturer......the manufacturer made the claim, not the LFS, is what they will state. And then the manufacture will state something to the effect that you didn't use it right, so therefore the gurantee is null & void.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

The tetra rep I spoke with had no problem refunding or sending another bottle if it didnt work but it did so wasn't a need...seachem on the other hand gave me the run around

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds