Peat moss

• Poseidon2.0
  • Poseidon2.0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 created the topic: Peat moss

So I received my Fluval peat moss pellets and threw them in a mesh bag into my HOB. This morning the PH has lowered about 0.5, now about 7.0 down from the about 7.4-7.6 that it typically sat at. Worried that this may be too fast a drop? Will keep monitoring it.

Water is still clear and not colored at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 27

Craigsfish replied the topic: Peat moss

Poseidon2.0 wrote: So I received my Fluval peat moss pellets and threw them in a mesh bag into my HOB. This morning the PH has lowered about 0.5, now about 7.0 down from the about 7.4-7.6 that it typically sat at. Worried that this may be too fast a drop? Will keep monitoring it.

Water is still clear and not colored at all.

Peat moss will tint water? Keep updating, thought about it myself if it don't make water to crazy!

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Peat moss

Well it hasn't tinted the water yet, but the day is young. The Fluval pellets are suppose to be less messy than stuff from Home Depot, etc. So far that has proved to be the case.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Peat moss

Are your fish OK? Any signs of stress( rapid breathing, etc)?

I think they should be alright......if you are concerned, do a small partial WC. This was over the course of about 24 hrs + or -, so that's gradual...they should be fine. My Red Oscar is living large in blackwater.

I did state to use small amounts....I only fill up the filter cartridges on the Whisper 60 about 1/2 way on each. You really don't need that much.

Yup, it really doesn't stain the water all that much, especially compared to the sphagnum peat...my tank has only a slight tan tint to it...but compared to my CA tanks, it definitely is darker.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Peat moss

Hey Jack, how do you go about w/cs with this peat moss? I remember you said a little while ago that your water out of the tap has a high pH of 8 or so, but the peat moss takes it down to <7. I know you do large regular w/cs, so how do you account for the pH difference?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Peat moss

Well.....I change the PM about every 10 days to 2 weeks, & I change his water every 3-4 days, (& believe me I'm no chemical expert), so the PM moss gets changed regularly........so I'm going to assume it's pretty effective for that duration.

I was going to do a PH test to show you & now I have to go out & get another vial.....I dropped the damn thing on the ground & it smashed (cement floor)!!!

I am also going to buy a GH test, as I know I have one, but I can't find that....probably buried it one of my totes.

Go on YT....BW tanks all over the place....I think this tank looks great!!

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Peat moss

Yes, my O is doing just fine, if anything he looks like he is enjoying himself and chilled out a little bit more than usual. Ph dropped a little bit more, another 0.2 maybe, down to 6.8 now. Seems like everything is just fine. I wasn't sure about the drop rate is all; hopefully it evens out now. I will keep monitoring it.

I put about the equivalent of a bag of carbon that would go in an AC 70, or even a bit less than that. The box I got has about three more refills in it; so about 7 bucks (including shipping) every couple of months I guess. Definitely something I can maintain.

I do have some drift wood in there which already tinted the water a bit, so this maybe why I haven't noticed the difference, but seeing your clear tanks, makes mine definitely seem a bit tinted.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds