My water levels

• Volkmania
  • Volkmania's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Volkmania created the topic: My water levels

Need to seek the wisdom of this site again. Thanks to everyone by the way that has helped. I feel like my fish will get though this. (Incase anyone sees this that did not see my other posts. I understand I let my levels get way out of whack. We had person life concerns that took 100% of our day and mental focus. I just want to fix this)

So I am trying to get my levels back on track via large daily water changes (50-70%).
When I first combated these levels, the ammonia was such a dark color and there looked to be 0 nitrites and nitrates.
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzoKQzrJLptEY3F5Q05KU1lvVzQ&usp=sharing

After two days of large WCs, I tested the water yesterday. Got Ammonia to a little over 8 (dark green), 40 nitrates, 0 nitrites
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzoKQzrJLptEajNycTZPOGhwOG8&usp=sharing

Just tested today (I may be testing too much, not sure).
I am now between 4-8 ppm Ammonia, .25 ppm Nitrite and 20-40 ppm Nitrate.
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzoKQzrJLptEUy1ad3VGMV9KV0k&usp=sharing

I am really hoping that I am on the right track here. I know I still have a few more days of daily large water changes, but are the numbers moving in the right way? I know there is different types of bacteria, are they showing signs of establishing and such?
Today, I picked up a bottle of Seachem prime. I see so much back and forth with this and Safe plus, is there really one over the other?
Sorry for all the questions. I just really want to end this problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: My water levels

In your last link your Nitrites are at 0 and your Nitrates are at 40-80 ppm (there is no difference between 40 and 80 on the API freshwater color chart). Your Ammonia is at 8 ppm.

You should add more Prime to your water to try and help neutralize your ammonia levels, which are at lethal (for fish) levels.

Is it at all possible to get some filter media from a cycle aquarium that you could add to your own filters? This would help speed up your process.

What are the ammonia levels of your tap water?

Hoping your fish can get through this. :dry:

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:My water levels

Poseidon is spot on and dont waste your money on any bacteria in a bottle your going to be doing such large and frequent water changes it will be ineffective. Established media will be your best bet. Also in your other thread you mention getting the larger tank and more filtration you should get the ac110 on your current tank now then move it to the new tank with the established media so you dont go through this again

• Volkmania
  • Volkmania's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Volkmania replied the topic: My water levels

I tried getting the best picture I could but the vials are a much lighter color than what is showing in the pic. Have any suggestions to getting a better color shot? I tried flash, no flash, vials in front of white card stock.

Would you suggest adding a whole second dose of Prime? I already did a full 55Gal worth of it after the WC.

I'm really the only fish keeper that I know of so there is no chance of getting other media.

I did a water test of our tap and it shows near 0 PPM Nitrates and .5 PPM NH3/NH4.

I am hoping they will too. Except for my Oscar, they are swimming around like nothing is wrong (which I know means nothing).

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: My water levels

Regarding Prime and Safe, they accomplish the same thing but one is liquid and the other a highly concentrated powder. I like Safe because I have four tanks and do a lot of water changes.

You will get things looking good for a bit with your test numbers but you will need to be diligent in watching what goes on next. It could be very likely that with all these heavy water changes you will have knocked back the beneficial bacteria and in an attempt to compensate you will get a bacterial bloom or a cloudy appearance to the water. We can deal with that when it happens.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: My water levels

Just a note on your Prime application.. it goes in just prior to adding new water. Its drain, add Prime and refill. Also try to keep incoming tap water away from filter intakes. A bit difficult on a small 55g. You can shut off filters for the 10mins it takes to refill. I do this on a 55g grow out I am currently using, with 2 AC70 hobs.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:My water levels

Guys I shut my filter off on the 55 for way more than 10 min maube half hour or so when doing wc. I try to avoid getting sand sucked up never had a problem that I am aware of but am killing off bb

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: My water levels

Frank that short amount of time won't effect anything.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds