Water chemistry

• Thank you received: 27

Craigsfish replied the topic: Re:Water chemistry

What scares me is your 150. 80 on the nitrates is a red flag. the water you added did nothing but the gravel should of helped. Seems like your stock is adding more waste the your bio-load can handle right now. you really need to get the bb going stronger if you wish to keep all your stock in that tank. Keep doing water changes in the time being..Maybe someone else can jump in and help figure this out also...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• scarruth
  • scarruth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

scarruth replied the topic: Re:Re: Re:Water chemistry

Craigsfish wrote: scarruth pm sent.

Hey

• Thank you received: 27

Craigsfish replied the topic: Re:Water chemistry

scarruth wrote: Craig not sure how to get to the PMs

click on your name where it says welcome scarruth. you will see the notifications tabs, click on the message tab to read and reply..
The following user(s) said Thank You: scarruth

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Water chemistry

scarruth wrote: Craig, how did I loose, and what signs should I look for that I did? Im kinda really confused about all this. We transferred from a 75 to the 150, we transferred all 75 gal of water and gravel over to in hopes shorten the cycle. Week one saw the ammonia spike, week two saw the nitrite spike and then everything settled down. Nitrates have alwa been at min 40 ppm and ammonia is .25 ppm. I thought life was good, oh yeah 0 on nitrites.

You need to keep your sponge in your HOB. Basically never replace it unless it starts to disintegrate in you hand. They last for years. That is where all the good bacteria for a cycled tank resides. Gravel contains some good bacteria, but about 5-10% of what is contained in the sponge. DON'T EVER GET RID OF THE SPONGE!! :side: This is why your ammonia spiked.

Your nitrates should be in the 10-20 ppm range (using API chart). Something is wrong if you are getting anything higher.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:Water chemistry

3 weeks into your cycling is probably most of your problem. You need to leave your filters alone and let the bb colony establish. Large water changes should help along with Prime. Very little bb in water and gravel. Give it time.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Water chemistry

A 150 w/ filters that have been cycling for only 3 weeks & a tank w/ 8 Africans & only 1 HOB is the problem.......WC, WC, WC, & get another filter for that 55. A Fluval C4 would be a nice addition.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• scarruth
  • scarruth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

scarruth replied the topic: Re:Water chemistry

Darth are you saying that I'm still cycling and I will continue to have high nitrates, because of the cycle or lack of filtration in the 150. If lack of filter is an issue then I will have that fixed soon enough.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds