CO2 DIY generator

• DaniOrta
  • DaniOrta's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

DaniOrta created the topic: CO2 DIY generator

Hi all,
I'm planning to add some CO2 to my tank using the known DIY method (Plastic bottle, water, sugar and yeast).
In order to diffuse the CO2 I thought I could add the CO2 pipe to the "bubbles" pipe coming out of the air-pump, using a "T" connector so it generates some sort of vacuum.
Do you reckon it would work? or the CO2 would decrease with the Oxygen coming with the bubbles?

Thanks for your comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: CO2 DIY generator

Hi and welcome to OFL

i've done that before - works well without using a air pump.

i'm not sure if it's a good idea to pump a large amount of oxygen into the water - this will cause a change in PH and algae growth.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: CO2 DIY generator

Excessive oxygen will also affect the quality of the good bacteria which you need for maintaining tank health. You need both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: CO2 DIY generator

Why are you wanting to inject co2?? This plan is a bad idea for multiple reasons, lets clarify air stones dont add oxygen to the tank they cause surface agitation that facilitates gas exchange thats adds o2 to the water

1. In a planted tank injecting co2 you want no surface movement, surface movement will cause a gas exchange releasing co2 into the atmosphere and bringing o2 into the water negating your co2 injection. Surface movement isnt needed in a planted tank because the plants put off o2 during photosynthesis

2. If you pressurize your bottle of yeast mix (which it will be hooked to the air pump) it will push the yeast mix into the tank which can kill the fish

Give me a couple hours and i will see if i have the plans to my old DIY co2 system and the diffuser i used

Poseidon2.0 wrote: Excessive oxygen will also affect the quality of the good bacteria which you need for maintaining tank health. You need both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria.

Saturated oxygen in the water column does not in any way harm aerobic bacteria if anything it increases it population and the only place anaerobic bacteria exists in an aquarium is in deep sand beds which we dont actually want because it can cause pockets of nitrogen and methane gas to form and if released into the water will kill your fish

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:CO2 DIY generator

Big-Ken wrote:

Poseidon2.0 wrote: Excessive oxygen will also affect the quality of the good bacteria which you need for maintaining tank health. You need both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria.

Saturated oxygen in the water column does not in any way harm aerobic bacteria if anything it increases it population and the only place anaerobic bacteria exists in an aquarium is in deep sand beds which we dont actually want because it can cause pockets of nitrogen and methane gas to form and if released into the water will kill your fish

Thanks for your comment. I am still learning about this stuff myself. I wasn't suggesting that oxygen would affected the aerobic bacteria. My understanding is that both aerobic and anaerobic bacterias develop inside of porous ceramic filter media and that both are needed for helping to denitrify water, reduce nitrates, etc. Adding more oxygen seemed to me that it could have a negative effect on this cycle. Happy to learn otherwise though.

Big-Ken replied the topic: CO2 DIY generator

Anaerobic bacteria requires a zero oxygen environment like a deep sand bed, this is also why de-nitrification towers require such slow flow to work so as not create excessive oxygen in the tower killing the bacteria colony

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: CO2 DIY generator

Yes, that was my understanding more or less , though was under the impression that this could work in a canister (not in any HOB) with porous ceramic media. I thought the anaerobic bacteria could exist within the ceramic. Am I crazy to think that? Is it only in specialized systems where that can occur and not in your average canister?

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:CO2 DIY generator

Has to be a zero oxygen environment so no anaerobic bacteria cannot live in a canister since oxygenated water is being pumped through it at all times hince why nitrifying bacteria is aerobic

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:CO2 DIY generator

Big-Ken wrote: Has to be a zero oxygen environment so no anaerobic bacteria cannot live in a canister since oxygenated water is being pumped through it at all times hince why nitrifying bacteria is aerobic

Ok thanks. Sorry to belabor the point I'll try not to take up any more time with this thread. I guess I have been trying to make some replication of pond filters, the "veg filters" that often use volcanic rock where, so it is claimed, both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria can co-exist. This, along with plant matter, helping to reduce the amount of nitrates after the nitrification process. I thought such media might work in the canister filter and I guess I imagined that the standard ceramic media was a kind of imitation of volcanic rock. I think Eheim use to even sell volcanic rock as a filter media (I assumed for this reason) with its canisters.

I am still thinking a lot about filtration and tank chemistry. Some of this comes from listening to my dad, who had a large koi pond and played around with filtration a lot and raised koi and goldfish for around thirty years in Canada; but perhaps all this best replicated with sump, in an aquarium setting, where the vegetation and volcanic-type rock. I have been out of fish for quite a while and only recently started again in a significant way, so maybe am forgetting some of the pertinent details. Thanks again for your input.

• DaniOrta
  • DaniOrta's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

DaniOrta replied the topic: CO2 DIY generator

OK, so I was totally confused then.

Let me explain my set up:

I have a 6ft tank, when I got it, I had two medium size interior filters for a while until I bought a Fluval FX6. At that time I noticed the fish were begging for air so I placed an airpump. (I had no plants at al only rocks and a big cured branch)

Now, I have the FX6 and plants but these don't seem to grow at all. After reading a few notes on different websites, I thought they were lacking CO2, and that is why I was planning the CO2 generator. (as a temporary measure until I had enough cash to buy a proper one)

So you reckon, turning off the airpump and leaving the plants do its photosynthesis and the FX6 its job, everything will be fine?

I'm in the aquarium world 5 years now, but never come across this challenges before.
I really appreciate your advice

Thanks

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds