Using a Python with high pH water

• UNC-CH
  • UNC-CH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH created the topic: Using a Python with high pH water

I watched a video showing how a python water changer works and realized how much easier it would make water changes for my 75 gallon. I had thought there was more to it.

I have several small tanks, the largest being a 75 gal. So I never thought about getting a python before. For the 75 gal, I've always used a gravel vac and syphoned half the water into a 40 gal bin, used a pond pump to pump that water into a drain, filled another 40 gal bin in the bathtub, added prime and pH buffer 7.0, and then pumped that into the tank.

My question is ... with my tap water having a pH of around 8.6, can I still use a python to fill the tank? I'm not sure at what point I would add the api proper pH 7.0 which I've always used. Can short term exposure to high pH water like that harm my Oscar?

Is there someone else who uses a python with high pH water?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Using a Python with high pH water

I have a python that I use to drain, but I don't have the right connector to fill the tank. So I just use the garden hose. In winter I had buckets of warmer water of course. But, I'm the opposite of you, I have low pH. I don't add any products for it though.

I didn't know that Oscars were sensitive to ph to the point of needing to add that stuff.

If pH is a problem I think there are more permanent ways of fixing it than having to add that stuff????
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Using a Python with high pH water

I think Jack (was it Jack?) has high pH water and he adds peat moss (Fluval brand? I can't brain) to his filter to lower the pH. I think he just fills up from the tap for w/cs but I'm not certain. Also releases tannins into the water. Oscars thrive in blackwater conditions, so it might be a more permanent option. Indian almond leaves etc are also options but I think you need to soak them for a while beforehand.

I've always been confused about the safety of filling straight from the tap if you have pH lowering products for your tank (inc peat moss etc) and really high pH tap water. I'm looking forward to seeing the responses you get.

@Purplecandle: They're not particularly sensitive but a pH of 8.6 is really high for a species that prefers soft, acidic water. That's African rift lake pH levels. For the python, I use an adapter from the local hardware place that the python fits onto, and whacked it onto the kitchen tap. Might be worth looking into.
The following user(s) said Thank You: purplecandle, UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Using a Python with high pH water

@lammergeier

Yeah, I need to get that connector, just need to get around to it.

I'm interested in the responses as well. I've had some fish keepers say that pH stuff is junk, and some swear by it.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Using a Python with high pH water

Proper PH does not work well if your KH is above 6. You need to alter the KH in order to lower the PH, otherwise it bounces back up.

If you fill straight from the tap, your aquarium will automatically go to the PH of the tap when doing large water changes. PH swings aren't that detrimental to most fish (even oscars), as shown by folks who use CO2 injection for planted tanks. Their fish don't die when the PH swings as the result of turning off CO2 injection. I would be more concerned about TDS levels swing really quickly, (over 25 TDS).

If you want to know the true PH of your tap, put it into a bucket with an air stone for 24 hours, and then your true PH can be determined.

A TDS meter costs about ~$15 on amazon.com. I use this a lot when getting new fish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Using a Python with high pH water

aww I was hoping I could hop back on and disagree with you rock! but solid info like always!

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Using a Python with high pH water

Thanks for the info Rocksor. I figured the pH would go to the tap water with a large w/c but good to know the pH swing isn't particularly detrimental to fish. I'm lucky here that I have fairly soft, low pH water straight out of the tap, but it's still handy info.

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

UNC-CH replied the topic: Using a Python with high pH water

Jack does use the fluval peat pellets. I'm not sure how high his pH is from the tap though.

My tap water is very soft btw. I'm not sure why the town water pH is so high but I called when I first noticed it was high. They mentioned that it was normal. They also mentioned the chloramines in the water, but I'm not sure if that's why the pH is 8.6.

I've seriously considered using the peat pellets instead of adding the chemical buffer like Jack, but I never followed up on it. The feeling was that I should leave good enough alone considering my oscar had been doing so well.

Still, if I could use the peat pellets in my hob filters and use the python to drain and fill my tank, I'd definitely want to make that transition.

Even if I only used the python to drain the tank and/or syphon the gravel, it would still be well worth it.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Using a Python with high pH water

Is your PH still 8.6 after sitting out for 24 hours?

Don't use peat pellets until you know the KH and GH of your tap water. Jack has hard water, meaning the KH and GH are pretty high.

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

UNC-CH replied the topic: Using a Python with high pH water

I think it drops to around 7.5 after some time has passed.

I'll check and post the results tomorrow night (late).

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds