Using a Python with high pH water

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Using a Python with high pH water

If it drops to 7.5, there's no need for proper ph; considering that you already have soft water.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Using a Python with high pH water

Philly tap is anywhere from 7.8-8.2. I have been trying to get exact KH & GH #'s, but can't obtain online....I will e-mail city water dept to see if I can get....but I know it's pretty hard, get that white crust all over everything (filter, tank,etc).....I use the FPP & this knocks the PH down to 6.6-6.8 after 2 days...& I do add FPP after each weekly WC, only on my Oscar tank. MY CA tanks LOVE Philly H2O!!!

I wouldn't mess w/ chemicals to lower PH........peat is the safest way to do it...just be cautious when doing so......lower it too much & the bio-filter won't work as well.....soft, acidic water is anti-bacterial in nature.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

If his water is soft, I would gather the KH to be at most 4 (my water is at 8, and pretty hard). Adding peat could drop it to zero, and this would be a bad thing, since then the water could be easily dropped to ph 6.0 or less.

He should buy a GH and KH kit.

• UNC-CH
  • UNC-CH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Using a Python with high pH water

After 10 hours it's already dropped to ~7.4. I'll test again at 11pm for the 24 hr result.

You really don't need the proper PH.

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

After 23 hours the color is the same as the test after 10 hours. I had said before that the pH was 7.4 but after looking more closely at the high-range pH color chart, the color that matches more closely is 7.8. I decided to use the lower pH test and the color was just off-the-chart with the test tube being slightly more blue than the darkest color (7.6ph).

With a pH of 7.8, would it still be safe to fill the tank from the tap (without using the proper ph).

Regarding the peat pellets, I might be able to contact the water company and get the GH and KH values.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Using a Python with high pH water

I think a pH of 7.8 would be alright UNC. It's higher than the 'ideal' but nothing that would do any harm, I don't think.

You should be able to find all the relevant information for water hardness on your water provider's website, but if it's anything like the water provider I have here in Aus they'll give a very approx. range.

There are GH and KH API test kits available that work well. I'd suggest getting and using them to get an exact reading instead.

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Even if I were to discover that I couldn't use a python to fill the tank, using it to drain the tank would still make the process much easier approx. cutting the time in half. So I'm definitely planning on ording one.

Is there just the one type? The one I was looking at was called the 'no spill clean and fill'.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Using a Python with high pH water

That's the only one I know of, and what I have. You can get varying hose lengths though. I've got the 25 ft one. I wouldn't get any larger because (in Aus anyway) it's cheaper to just buy some food-safe vinyl tubing from a hardware store if I needed more length than it was for me to get the next size up.

I think there's an Aqueon brand knockoff version, but from what I've heard it's worse quality than the Python, and not a great deal cheaper.

For what it's worth, if you're needing to use the active pressure to drain a tank, be prepared to use a *lot* of water. I use the active pressure siphoning when poop scooping Daisy's and Foofie's tanks, but Foofie's is the only one I drain all the way down using active pressure, but that's because his tank is near the ground.

For everyone else I either have it drain passively into the sink, or unhook the tap attachment and flood my backyard :P

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

My water company answered my e-mail with the numbers for GH and KH.

GH is around 38 mg/l.
KH is around 46 mg/l.

I take them at their word but I'd still like to do my own test. Still, if these numbers are correct would that mean it would be safe to use the peat pellets (to lower the ph)? ... Since the KH isn't too low.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds