Water conditioner

• LeafsFan
  • LeafsFan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15

LeafsFan created the topic: Water conditioner

I asked pretty much the same question before but I wasn't as specific as I should of been to actually answer my question.

So I bought the gravel vac that runs to the faucet for easy water changes and filling of the tank and the thing I am worried about is putting chlorinated water right into my fish water. I use Ntritifin Aqua plus water conditioner. One of the concerns I have is for example when i have my 100 gallon set up if I were to do a 50% water change so that would be 50 gallons of water going back into the tank, the reccomended dosage is 10ml per 10 gallons. So from that I would need 50 Ml's to treat that water. But if I just put 50 ml in the 100 gallon would it be too dialuted to actually take the chlorine from the water, should I treat the whole 100 gallons for chlorine or just the 50 gallons from the 50% water change.

Hopefully everyone understands what I'm talking about ahahah plus I think I really overthink when it comes to my Oscar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Water conditioner

You treat for the entire tank volume, not just the new water. When you run out of the Nutrifin, switch to Seachem Prime. Its a better product. Two caps of Prime will treat your 100g. Better still is the powder form, Seachem Safe. More highly concentrated, more bang for the buck, so to speak. Multiple tank, or huge tank owners generally use Safe. You should also go online and read your city water report, see the levels of chlorine used and see if chloramine is present. You can adjust conditioner doseage accordingly.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

LeafsFan replied the topic: Water conditioner

I'm not sure if pets unlimited sell that or not because that's the only store near me to buy fish supplies. Do you have any suggestions of good places to buy it online. Good prices and safe to order from?

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Water conditioner

I buy all my supplies from petsandponds.com Being winter, I wouldnt get the Prime(liquid) thru mail. Might freeze? Get a small jar of Safe(powder) It will last a long time.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

I'm Driving you nuts with the questions lol but if I were to buy the 250g bottle would that last long with the 100gallon. I would buy the bigger one but I can't really tie up the money right now

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Water conditioner

Good thing about the Prime and Safe also is that it neutralizes any ammonia that might be (and often is) in municipal water. My tap water has 0.5ppm of ammonia which the Aqua plus won't deal with.

These chemicals work great and as long as your filter is cycled everything will be peachy.

LeafsFan wrote: I'm Driving you nuts with the questions lol but if I were to buy the 250g bottle would that last long with the 100gallon. I would buy the bigger one but I can't really tie up the money right now

If you are talking the liquid or powder? The liquid would use 2 capfuls for your 100 (2 caps = 10 ml) so you would get about 25 water changes out of a 250 ml bottle. Not sure about the powder, but will no doubt be an even better ratio.

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Wow that's awesome now I just have to find a place with decent shipping rates. Found one and the shipping was more then the actually bottle of power, it kills me when I have to pay more shipping then the product is worth lol

LeafsFan wrote: Wow that's awesome now I just have to find a place with decent shipping rates. Found one and the shipping was more then the actually bottle of power, it kills me when I have to pay more shipping then the product is worth lol

One day Canada's Amazon.ca will catch up with the US and ship more than just books and CDs! :lol:

Do you live anywhere near the US border? My cousin lives right next to the Quebec/US boarder and there is a gas station in the US that everyone from Canada orders stuff from on Amzon and just picks it up there, and the person charges like a couple of bucks only for the service. There may be some similar setup near your border. Just a thought, though not necessarily worth it for a bottle of Seachem Prime. (Typically if you are an Amazon Prime member you don't have to pay for any shipping)

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

I wish I was close enough I'm about 6-8 hours away from the border. I am going to see if pet smart sells it my sister is coming home for Christmas and she lives close to a pet smart I would get her to get me a few bottles if they sell it.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds