Water conditioner

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Water conditioner

Sounds like a plan! Have you decided if you will put another small cichlid or bottom feeder with your O? I can't remember if you have mentioned this already in another thread.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• LeafsFan
  • LeafsFan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15

LeafsFan replied the topic: Water conditioner

I'm not sure yet I would like to I'm just not sure what I would get. I will have to do some reading and I am limited to what I can get because pets unlimited has limited fish stock there's not a whole lot of options in there. Any suggestions for an Oscar tank make would be appreciated lol

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Water conditioner

For your Oscar to really thrive, live long and get big, I would leave him alone in 100g. 100g is not really a big tank for such a large fish. I have Oscars alone in 6ft 125 and 135g tanks. They are adults, over a foot long. They do very well by themselves with plenty of room and clean water. 100g is a bit of an odd size.. what are the dimensions of it? Should you opt for the Safe powder, a little goes a very long way. I treat large tanks, 180 and 265 g with less than 1/2 tsp. Again though, check your city water. My city has minimal chlorine and no chloramine, so I can use small amounts of conditioner. Also, when refilling the tank, let incoming water splash from above the water level. Chlorine will de-gas on the surface.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Yeah my Oscar is my main concern. Right now in the 46 which is to small but he will be out of next weekend he has a jack Dempsey in with him and the jack dempsey is maybe 2 inches and my Oscar is about 7 and I'm shocked my Oscar didn't eat him. I keep a close eye incase I have to rehome the jack Dempsey but right now my Oscar ignores him most of the time and usually the jack dempsey kind of follows the Oscar around so I will leave him and see how that goes. I know the jack Dempsey will get a decent size but Once he gets big enough to make a difference for my Oscar I will rehome him. The dimensions of the tank are 60"x18"x20". I was looking for a 125 gallon but I couldn't find any used tanks for a good price and the biggest new tank I could buy around here was 100.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Water conditioner

New instructions for Seachem Safe says to use 1/4 teaspoon per 300g to remove 1ppm chlorine or chloramine. You should treat the whole tank volume. Knowing how much chlorine/chloramine put in by the water district is a must.

60"x18" is good for the life of a single oscar as long as its total length isn't greater than 14".

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

So far this is what I got on the chlorine in my water "We are required by the Nova Scotia Department of Environment and Labour to maintain a chlorine residual throughout the distribution system of between 0.2 mg/L and 0.4 mg/L (milligrams per litre = parts per million). Although chlorine residual can vary throughout the year for may reason, it will always be within this range. We add enough chlorine at the treatment plant to make sure we meet the minimum required amount at the most remote areas of the distribution system."

You have excellent tap water. Using Safe, you could use TINY amounts per water change. 5ft tank will make your Oscar very happy.

Tell ya what, young fella... I have an 8lb pail of Safe here. In the spirit of Christmas, I will mail you enough to do you many months. No charge. Send me your full name and address thru our private message system, and I'll get it out to ya asap.

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Thanks again. It's awesome how helpful everyone is on here with me being new to the hobby it makes learning and keeping my Oscar healthy so much easier. Thanks for all the feedback and help.

Newcomers like yourself are a pleasure to assist. Best cichlid site on the internet. Sometimes we are a little rough on stubborn members, but thats because WE ARE ALWAYS RIGHT!!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds