• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

salmonator created the topic: rodi water

Hello all. Just got some questions.
Future tank info.
180 dp
75 gallon sump
seachem denitrate in pvc tube running low gph to control nitrates.
bio media will be k1 kaldness. Ceramic. And sponge filters. Maybe some matrix.
1 Oscar from Jeff rapps (f 1 bahia Oscar )

Planning on using rodi water because my water has at least 20 ppm nitrates. And has a high ph from aged water from tap. Also really hard. I can taste it lol. And God knows what else. Also since an f1 is captive bred it is still just one generation below a wild . I would figure it would like better water conditions with lower ph. Also want my fish to be happy and grow as large as it can.

My plan let me know what you think .
Rodi water with seachem American cichlid salt to replenish minerals and gh. Acid and alk to get a ph of 7.0 . Using cichlid trace in between water changes. (Once a week 10 to 20 percent). And I would be turkey basting the poop out every day. Aq advisor says I should only have to do 8 percent water changes a week with my filtration system.

Question. Let's say tank ph rises and stabalizes around...7.4 should that be what I make my water change batch to. Or just make it 7 like what I started out with in the holding reservoir and when I initially started up the tank.

Thinking that I will Be adding minerals once a week with cichlid trace ,which is usually done with main water changes . And denitrate to keep nitrates lower, again, done with water changes as well. Does my water change regime sound okay? Or could I even go two weeks with maybe 30 percent water change?

I think that's pretty much it. If anyone has the time please give me some of your time. I'd appreciate it. Thanks:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: rodi water

I'll comment on your water change plans. SEVERELY insufficient. Filtration, no matter the amount or efficiency, does not substitute for water changes. You will need at minimum a once a week 75% change. When Oscar goes beyond 10ins, you may need more. There is more in the water than just nitrate. Oscars urinate and defecate constantly. There is a growth inhibiting hormone in the urine. The more clean water you provide, the better the fish will do. I keep single large cichlids in tanks in this size range, Oscars included. Tanks are heavily filtered and get twice weekly on average 75% water changes. The fish benefit greatly from this type of care.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• salmonator
  • salmonator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

salmonator replied the topic: rodi water

Your saying that this is more then just nitrates ? Like I know that. But your talking about urine and waste. Wouldn't that be broken down and turned into nitrates... That's what we have biological filtration for right? Just wondering.

• salmonator
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Or have I been reading everything wrong. Please correct me if that is the case. From my understanding. Urine . Feces. Fish breathing . And everything like that gets taken care of by the biological processes. turned into nitrates and as long as you take care of the mineral content . As I am with cichlid trace. And have a source to remove nitrates(besides water changes, like plants or absorbant items). What's the deal with not changing out huge amounts of water. Shouldn't my stay within spec?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: rodi water

Not a fan of RO units......RO units waste far more water than they produce. If I were you, I would set up a HOB filter w/ a Pothos plant in it....once established, it will probabl take your nitrates down to zero, as 20PPM isn't all that high.

There's a lot of videos on YT, picked this @ random:

As for the water being hard, did you test it or get a report from the municipality? You could also simply add Fluval peat granules to a HOB filter....I have very hard tap water, also has a PH of 7.8, I use an old Tetra 60, & it softens the water nicely & takes the PH down to 6.8 in 2 days.

Just FYI........I have been keeping fish, most specifically SA & CA cichlids for over 43 years. Nitrates are not the only dissolved solid or dissolved metabolite that has to be removed......there are phosphates, silicates, etc in the water that are also generated & must be removed via water changes. If you wish to keep a heavily planted aquarium w/ a few small tetras, you can get away w/ doing infrequent WC's.....but if you want to keep the "Big Boys", like Oscars, Jaguars, Chocolates, Sevs, JD's, who, even when small generate HUGE amounts of solid & liquid waste, frequent large-scale WC's are part & parcel of being successful.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: rodi water

It's my understanding that there are other issues besides nitrates biulding up, but I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject. Phosphates are one I believe.

With your setup, a lot depends on how well your denitrification system works. Like filters using aerobic bacteria, it will take awhile to get established (not sure how long with anaerobic.) Only then will you know how much water you'll need to change to keep nitrates down.

Did you say you were going to use the seachem acid/alkaline buffer? I use that on my planted tank. It can be tricky to use with my tap water. Maybe you'll have an easier time with distilled.

I'd also get the api master test kit (liquid, freshwater) for water testing if you don't already have one.

• salmonator
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I do have pothos plants in my current Tank right now and they don't seem to be helping much. Also I do have that kit. As that's how I got my nitrate and harness levels. I guess it just doesn't make sence why u have to change 50 percent water each week. Compared to other people with a lot more fish load. Who have around the same amount of water and they have perfectly fine water parameters

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:rodi water

Your not raising wild caught or f1 discus here its an oscar, even wild caught oscars will easily transition to most tap waters.

You will never be able to keep your water parameters in check by only doing small water changes the dissolved organics will build in that system and will drive your ph down till your cycle crashes that is if your fish isnt already dead from the deplorable water conditions

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: rodi water

I would suggest that you do some reading by noted authors who are far more noted & accomplished cichlid keepers than these people you bring up. I would recommend you read "The Cichlid Aquarium" by Dr. P.V. Loiselle & take the advice contained therein.

Aquariums are enclosed systems, glass/acrylic boxes, & even the largest ones commonly available are small when dealing w/ most SA/CA cichlids...NO filtration or water ion exchanging unit will preclude the need for changing the water. Anyone w/ some money can overcrowd a tank, add some filters, & have his fish live.....it truly takes dedication to have your fish THRIVE.

I would also challenge the supposition that anyone w/ an over-crowded tank full of large SA/CA cichlids that doesn't have a great deal of maintenance done to it has "perfectly fine" water parameters, or what the definition of that would be.

Also seems like a LOT of work & money to avoid doing an easy & necessary task....I would invest in a WC device like a Python before I blew my hard earned money on a R/O unit.

If you've ever seen a 16" Oscar defecate in the water, I don't think you would ask that question or be unsure why it's necessary. :sick:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:rodi water

If your looking for a way around doing large water changes, you won't find it keeping these large cichlids. If water changes are going to be an issue you will want to keep a few small fish in a large planted tank. Lots of people do this.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds