rodi water

• salmonator
  • salmonator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

salmonator replied the topic: Re:rodi water

I'm using ro water because my water is crappy lol. And about the defecate I would be doing that with small changes with a python as I do now and then water changes every week. I know about the large water changes as I do about 60 % a week on my tank now. I just have read a lot of info about tank size in relationtion to Oscar tank size and water changes. And with one in a 55 it seems two large 50 percent a week is what I hear most. So I thought with the extra 150 or so gallons that I wouldn't have to do as much? I just hear with larger tanks that you don't need as much water changes. Hence the dilution is the solution concept. I didn't know that you still had to do the same maximum amount of water changes as a person with not enough water volume. I thought getting a bigger tank reduces the amount of maintanence because of dilution??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: rodi water

SA/CA cichlids can make even the largest aquariums seem small, especially as they approach maturity. I have an 9" Oscar in a 125GL & I have to do 75% a week just to maintain healthy parameters. I know a fishkeeper that has a 1,000GL aquarium w/ a full-grown pair of Dovii in it, & he does 75% 1X per week. Again, the largest aquariums are enclosed systems, & even the most powerful & efficient filtration will not remove everything.

Dilution means that you have to physically change out the water to lessen the solids/metabolites in the water...not depend on ion exchange, filtration, etc, that's not diluting the water.

I again encourage you to read some books written by noted fishkeeping experts, like Loiselle, Conkel, Wattley, Konigs, etc. & absorb the knowledge contained therein. Perhaps that will help you to understand.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:rodi water

salmonator wrote: And with one in a 55 it seems two large 50 percent a week is what I hear most. So I thought with the extra 150 or so gallons that I wouldn't have to do as much? I just hear with larger tanks that you don't need as much water changes. Hence the dilution is the solution concept. I didn't know that you still had to do the same maximum amount of water changes as a person with not enough water volume. I thought getting a bigger tank reduces the amount of maintenance because of dilution??

Under normal circumstances (nitrates below 10ppm), you would change the water as much as needed to keep it below 20ppm. However, with your case of nitrates being at 20ppm, and if you only have an oscar in a 150g, then the amount of water to change would be the same volume as you would a 55g (assuming 2 x 50% water changes in a week). So if you changed 110 gallons of water in a 7 day period (you can split it up if you want to) on a 55g, and did that on the 150g (essentially 73.33% water change), it should suffice.

Have you looked at algae scrubbers? I have heard that they are better at reducing nitrates than pothos.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:rodi water

salmonator wrote: I'm using ro water because my water is crappy lol. And about the defecate I would be doing that with small changes with a python as I do now and then water changes every week. I know about the large water changes as I do about 60 % a week on my tank now. I just have read a lot of info about tank size in relationtion to Oscar tank size and water changes. And with one in a 55 it seems two large 50 percent a week is what I hear most. So I thought with the extra 150 or so gallons that I wouldn't have to do as much? I just hear with larger tanks that you don't need as much water changes. Hence the dilution is the solution concept. I didn't know that you still had to do the same maximum amount of water changes as a person with not enough water volume. I thought getting a bigger tank reduces the amount of maintanence because of dilution??

One of our members, Goranothos, has been experimenting with a large Aquaripure denitrator filter he uses on a 150 gallon tank. You might want to read that thread. I think that filter system is based, in part, on RO water processing. See here:
www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/14-tanks-filtration-heating-etc/304158-aquaripure-denitrator?limitstart=0

• salmonator
  • salmonator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

salmonator replied the topic: Re:rodi water

So what should I change a week? Does 50 sound alright as long as my nitrates are still low by the time a week goes by?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:rodi water

As the oscar gets bigger (taller, wider, and longer), water changes will need to be of a higher volume based on the amount of waste and nitrate level in the tank, so it is difficult to state that 50% will be alright.

Test for nitrates with a liquid test (API), every 3 days. It should be orange, and never closer to orange-red (40ppm) in your case. Also do a visual test (use #20 size sand as your substrate), and if there is poo, remove it. It may mean that you do more than 1 water change a week to remove the poo.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds