nitrate in ageing container

• salmonator
  • salmonator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

salmonator created the topic: nitrate in ageing container

So I've thought about it for a while . But I'm going to do away with the rodi that I was going to get . Just to make things easier durring water changes and so that I could do more water changes.

I have nitrate in my water . Either 20 to 40 ppm. If I place water in a holding container to age and get to correct temp what could I add to remove nitrates from the water in the container before being put in the tank . Preferably something that works fast. Thinking de nitrate in a pvc pipe with low flow filtering the water .

Or should I just put that on my tank? I'm also going to be implimenting lots of pothos and lucky bamboo in a aquaponic type setup.

If I used seachem prime to UN toxify the nitrates . Could I remove the nitrates fast enough (24 hours) to not worry about my nitrate in my tap water?

Thank you for your time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: nitrate in ageing container

I believe Prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for a short period of time only ... maybe a couple of days. I'm not sure about nitrate but I would think it would be for the same short-term period.

EDIT
I believe I misunderstood your question. I think you were asking if the nitrate can be removed by your denitrification system within the first 24 hours after treating the water with prime. That's difficult to answer. I'm not sure how quickly your system will remove nitrate from the water.

I'd like to hear from someone with experience using a de-nitrate system.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: nitrate in ageing container

Yes you can put water in a larger barrel and use a low flow pump connected to a denitrate type filter. Be aware that slime is a by product of this denitrification process so you need something like a mechanical filter that the water flows through after leaving the denitrator.

• salmonator
  • salmonator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

salmonator replied the topic: nitrate in ageing container

Okay cool. I was going to diy a canister filter for seachems denitrate media and have it turn over 30 to 50 gph . Sound okay? Or is there anything better?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: nitrate in ageing container

I never made one so I cant comment if it will work. An algae scrubber may be easier to make.

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: nitrate in ageing container

Salmonator, are you saying you have 20-40 ppm Nitrates in your tap water?

I hate to mention this to people who are first starting out with cichlids, because I don't want them to believe it is some sort of "magic bullet" that will allow them to skip water changes, but in your case I think you could benefit from it.

I also have Nitrates in my tap water, but in my case it's around 5 to 10 ppm. I am using a denitrator called the Aquaripure. You can google it. I have the "Large" one. Before I started using it, I was doing twice weekly 50%+ water changes in my 150 gallon Oscar tank, and my Nitrates were still reaching 40 ppm between changes. Since I installed the Aquaripure my Nitrates stay around 5 -10 ppm. I have done extensive testing with the API liquid test kit. I still do weekly 50% water changes (doing one as I type this, in fact) because there are other things besides Nitrates that need to be removed or replenished by frequent water changes.

There is a long thread on these forums describing my experience with the Aquaripure. You should be able to find it with the search function.

Yes, it produces slime, which will collect in the output tube. I find that it collects near the end of the tube and I can hold a wash cloth or something of that nature in the output stream and turn the regulator valve to full to blow the slime out of the tube.

In short, the Aquaripure actually works to help control Nitrates, but you still need to do frequent large water changes. In addition, you still should run a cannister or HOB, as the Aquaripure doesn't do mechanical filtration.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds