help me in my water analysis

• Gendiaaa
  • Gendiaaa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Gendiaaa replied the topic: help me in my water analysis

I am a chemical engineer in petrochemical company here in Egypt and I am using sometime our lab for measuring they using a digital pH meter that can also measure conductivity and then multiply it with factor 0.76 to get TDS I believed we are drinking from water coming from Nile river and this TDS is minerals and healthy for me but I am not sure about amazon river fish hosted in my home lol but my concern in the alkalinity why its going down like this is this due to bacteria breaking the amino acids to forming some kindda of acids which consuming the carbonate or what and if I have not fully cycled aquarium what shall do I do is the WC can help until time will help me with more becteria or what?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: help me in my water analysis

After 60 days, the bacteria in your filter is usually fairly well established and your tank is considered 'cycled.' Still, sometimes it can take much longer. The way to tell is to check the ammonia and nitrIte levels. If they are 0 and nitrAte is above 0 then your beneficial bacteria have been established enough to transform your ammonia from waste into nitrate, and it's doing what it's supposed to do.

I believe the bacteria in your filter will lower the alkalinity, but I'm not sure about that.

Your TDS is high for amazon fish like oscars. If you're adding salt, that will raise the TDS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gendiaaa

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: help me in my water analysis

Having too much organic matter such as waste and detrius matter in the substrate will contribute to loss of buffering capacity as these are broken down. It's kind of odd that even with about 70% water change a week (average over 2 week period) that your alkalinity is going down.

How often do you feed the fish? How often do you vacuum the subtrate to remove waste food, and detrius matter? How thick is the substrate in your aquarium?

• Gendiaaa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Really iam feeding twice a day and I clean the substrate by sucking the waste when I am doin the WC also I have external filter that when the cat fish is doing acrobate dance it moves waste from the substrate and I think I have 3 cm of sand and glass balls

• Gendiaaa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I wanna ask about something else also the smell of the aquarium what should it be

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:help me in my water analysis

If you put your nose right to the water you should smell an earthy dirt like smell. No other smell and you shouldn't be able to smell an aquarium, even when standing right next to it. Anything else is bad water conditions from lack of maintenance or improper setup. Your only changing 50% of the water weekly with those small 20% changes. Do 2 50% changes a week at least or a large 75% plus weekly.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: help me in my water analysis

I've always heard that aquariums should not smell if kept properly, and in my experience they don't. I have 6 tanks and none of them give off any smell. If I stick my nose close to the water, it just smells like water. If I open the lid on one of my 75 gal oscar tank filters, it does smell a little bit. But it's nothing like when you walk into a large pet store with fish tanks - that's strong. I do 50% water changes every ~5 days on the oscar tank, 50% a week tetra tank, 50% every 2 weeks 10 gal planted tank with betta, and 100% a week on small betta tanks.
I think the most important factors are having a mature filter, plenty of filter area and flow, and clean water.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: help me in my water analysis

wet dirt or wet wood, but you do have to have your nose just right above the water

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds