Api test kit

• LeafsFan
  • LeafsFan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15

LeafsFan created the topic: Api test kit

For a while now I find it hard to tell if I'm accurately reading the water test results comparing it to the paper it gives you.
It all depends what light you look at it under. The hardest I find is nitrates, under one light it looks like 5ppm and under another it's around 10-20 (10 and 20 are very close in color) does anyone have a suggestion to reading the results accurately. I even tried reading it from under my tank light but then was thinking that would be too light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Macmain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Api test kit

I have the same problem with the nitrate test. I can see almost no difference between 10 and 20. However, having different tanks allows me the opportunity to see different shades of orange. Just a thought ... you might get a better idea of what the different shades look like if, after testing, you dilute half (or more) of the test tube with fresh water and compare that new color to the one you had before.

EDIT: Actually, I think you would have to test again with a diluted sample. You couldn't just test, pour half out, fill with fresh water and read it again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeafsFan

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Api test kit

Easy way would be dark orange =wc and red = your being lazy and alarms are going off and any second the black unmarked helicopter will be hovering ontop of your house
The following user(s) said Thank You: Macmain

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

LeafsFan replied the topic: Re:Api test kit

Ahahah yeah I never had red yet, I'm always up on water changes I think I just worry too much about causing damage to my Oscar lol

• Thank you received: 3

Macmain replied the topic: Re:Api test kit

love the reply daddadoo7, ( LeafsFan) not mocking you bud.. ;) im pretty much that .. if i see colour then do summat, if i cant make it out then im happy.. its top water
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeafsFan

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Api test kit

UNC-CH wrote: I have the same problem with the nitrate test. I can see almost no difference between 10 and 20. However, having different tanks allows me the opportunity to see different shades of orange. Just a thought ... you might get a better idea of what the different shades look like if, after testing, you dilute half (or more) of the test tube with fresh water and compare that new color to the one you had before.

EDIT: Actually, I think you would have to test again with a diluted sample. You couldn't just test, pour half out, fill with fresh water and read it again.

There is no difference between the 10 and 20 on the Freshwater color chart. BUT, there is on the saltwater nitrate chart. Which means that these tests are harder to determine in freshwater with the relatively low tech API test kit and you would need better equipment for a more accurate result (I think Rocksor referred to this phenomenon in another thread today too).

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

LeafsFan replied the topic: Api test kit

As close as the 10 and 20 are it never goes over 20 I usually do a large water change every few days so I really shouldn't be too worried I guess

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Api test kit

I added a bunch of purigen and will never not have a tank with out it. Even before I got rid of my sd's and over fed the nitrate never got above 10 ppm between wc. Now it doesnt look to pass 5ppm
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds