cycling a new tank with fish

• Bri B
  • Bri B's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32

Bri B created the topic: cycling a new tank with fish

Greetings. So I am in the process of cycling a new 55 gal tank with a little bit of used media and 4 danio minnows. I am using a brand new fluval 306 canister filter as well. I'm a week in and getting no ammonia spike. Still reading zero. Is this filter too strong and or is 4 small danios not enough to get the process going in a tank this size? I'm aware that there is no quick fix but should I maybe add a few more danios? I have plenty of bio type media in the filter but I fear the filter is so strong that it's just processing faster than 4 minnows can produce. Please let me know if I should just keep the same or do something different. I give them a small pinch of tropical fake food every other day. I would add some used filter media but I don't have access to any.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Bri B replied the topic: cycling a new tank with fish

Tropical flake^

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: cycling a new tank with fish

What are you using to test the ammonia?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

I got an api freshwater master kit. Still coming up pure yellow aka 0.0

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Just worried that the canister filter and lack of cultured media isn't enough. The water is still crystal clear and the danios are thriving and super colorful and active. I've done plenty of research but I'm a total newbie when it comes to cycling a new tank this size with a filter this string. All advice and tips are appreciated

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

This strong^

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: cycling a new tank with fish

The old media that you're using to seed the new filter may be getting the job done. Also measure nitrite and nitrate. If nitrite is 0 and nitrate is greater than 0 then your filter has enough bacteria growth to deal with the 4 danios. An oscar will likely produce more waste though. You could add more danios which would produce more waste causing your filter to grow more denitrifying bacteria. That way, your filter won't get overwhelmed when you get the oscar. Your tank is nearly ready.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

The used media I'm using is a thin layer of gravel from my cycled tank. And a little hang over the back filter with a very soiled charcoal pouch. I know some used canister filter media would have been best but the used substrate and used carbon pouch is all I had access to

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:cycling a new tank with fish

Take the charcoal pouch out wont help and is probably toxic at this point. I used about 8 to 10 giant danios and fed every day. Just gonna have to be patient. Test for nutrates...may be cycled already

Lots of us dont use charcoal unless there is a specific reason like removing meds from the tank

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: cycling a new tank with fish

A few notes.....you should use minimum 2 Danios per 10 gallons for fish-in cycling. Let's call it 60GL for math....12 Danios minimum.

I would strongly [/u]advise stuffing as much bio-media in that canister as possible. You can never have enough, & keeping an Oscar, you will need it. You can never over-biologically (or mechanically for that matter) filtrate any cichlid aquarium.

Keep running that HOB....don't touch it until further notice.

Shoot a video of your set-up. if you don't have one, open a Youtube account. Take video, download to YT, copy URL, paste into thread. Always easier to diagnose when we can see what's going on.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds