cycling a new tank with fish

• Bri B
  • Bri B's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: cycling a new tank with fish

Thanks and like I said I have a brand new fluval 306 canister filter running also. I just put that little guy over the back to get a jump start on my nitrogen cycle. I was just concerned that such a strong filter may be processing the ammonia faster than 4 danios can create. I'm stopping after work and grabbing a few more danios. Thanks all for all the tips everyone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: cycling a new tank with fish

The 306 is just circulating water at this point, it needs some waste to process before it will really get going. You are on the right track, and as frustrating as it can be it just takes some time. Have you tested for nitrite or nitrate at this point?

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: cycling a new tank with fish

Don't be concerned that your filter might be processing the ammonia too fast ... there's no such thing. Your bio-filter turns ammonia into nitrite and then into nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite are extremely toxic ... less so than nitrate. You'll need to perform water changes to remove nitrate ... the filter cycle stops there.

You need to take readings of nitrite and nitrate in addition to ammonia when cycling.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Thanks. Haven't tested nitrate or nitrate yet. Was waiting for the ammonia spike but I will test when I get home from work today.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Thanks. Haven't tested nitrate or nitrite yet. Was waiting for the ammonia spike but I will test when I get home from work today.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Hey I got 3 more pearl danios today. Anyhow I checked ammonia still zero so I did my first nitrite test and I'm looking like somewhere right around 1.0 ppm. Any guess on when that should start to decrease and nitrate will rise?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: cycling a new tank with fish

Ok...but you still need at least a dozen to properly do this....& get Giant Danios....those pearl danios are too small...need more of a waste load.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Unfortunately my shop was out of giant danios. The 3 pearl were all they had in stock. They are much larger than the longfin danios I already had. More than double the size. Anyway I appreciate all the advice. This forum is super helpful. My pet shop said they should get some giants back in around a week. I'll keep up the testing and if need be I will grab a few.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: cycling a new tank with fish

Test your tap water for nitrites and ammonia

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: cycling a new tank with fish

As long as you have fish in the tank, you are getting there. Ammo can not evaporate, and the only way to get a nitrite reading is for it to be converted by bacteria, unless your source is contaminated. That is why Rocksor suggested you test the tap water. Get a base line reading on your tap water and then compare it to your tank readings.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds