ion-exchange resin pro and con

• UNC-CH
  • UNC-CH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH created the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

After a 50% change yesterday (friday), the first since monday before that, nitrate is well below 5ppm. So far, the nitra-zorb is working better than I expected. It seems to keep nitrate from going above 10ppm between water changes when performing 50% every 4 days. That's about half of what I'd expect to see without it. It works well as an addition to your regular water change schedule.

It seems to have about the same impact on nitrate as purigen, except I've learned that purigen can go 4 times longer between recharges and can be used up to 6 times longer.

The downside is that I worry that these products might remove other elements from the water that my fish may need. Any thoughts about possible negative effects of an ion-exchange resin like nitra-zorb?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:ion-exchange resin pro and con

So far it has been working great for me the potential downside I can see is if someone think that they can do smaller water changes because of the lower nitrate readings

How do you recharge the nitra zorb

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

UNC-CH replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

You let it soak in warm water with aquarium salt for 2 hours. (I forget the exact amount ... haven't re-charged it yet.) Then you rinse it under the tap and it's ready.

Yeah - they're no replacement for water changes.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

That is some impressive results. I have stayed away from Purigen because it is not compatible with a blackwater system and the ability to keep my water soft. The benefits of the blackwater for me outweigh the latter. I assume that the nitra-zorb is also not compatible for the same reason.

This is the why I go full on with the plant filters.

Its a good question you're asking. As many people note, the reason for water changes isn't only for the nitrates, but replenishes minerals. I am also curious to know if these chemicals (in purigen and nitra-zorb) remove beneficial minerals and have no idea about the long term effects. How long have these products been on the market? For me it is better to have the blackwater system so long as I can keep the nitrates at around 10ppm. A trade-off I am willing to make for the time being, but would also like to hear other reviews of these products.

I have also been experimenting with using Earthworm Septic as an organic additive which is suppose to produce similar results as purigen, that I read about here (I believe Rocksor recommended it). Haven't been using it long enough to make a comparison, however.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

These resins have a high affinity for the nitrate ion, so it is not removing anything else but NO3-. When you soak it in salt water, it releases the nitrate ion and exchanges itself for the chloride ion. It does not work in the same way that purigen works. Purigen removes organic material that would decompose into ammonia. This then prevents increasing nitrates.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daddadoo7, Poseidon2.0, UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

Thanks for the clarification Rocksor. Sounds like the Nitra-zorb is a safer product or a least potentially compatible with a blackwater tank.

Ben/rocksor
Why would the nitrazorb be safer ? Dont want anything to negativley impact my fish
I thought it was better to remove the organics before they break down instead of just removing the end product

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

UNC-CH replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

"Purigen controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. Purigen's impact on trace elements is minimal. It significantly raises redox. It polishes water to unparalleled clarity."

I don't think purigen is unsafe. I was just reading about it removing some micro-elements, but I don't think it has a large enough of an effect to cause a problem. It also can impact tannins but it's minimal. I think the benefits should far outway any possible negatives.

daddadoo7 replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

im gonna stick with it I read that its safe to use with plants too.

one thing that I thought was funny ..... seachem claims that it can go 6 months before needing to be recharged.... maybe on a 180 gal with two guppies lol

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds