ion-exchange resin pro and con

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

UNC-CH wrote: "Purigen controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. Purigen's impact on trace elements is minimal. It significantly raises redox. It polishes water to unparalleled clarity."

I don't think purigen is unsafe. I was just reading about it removing some micro-elements, but I don't think it has a large enough of an effect to cause a problem. It also can impact tannins but it's minimal. I think the benefits should far outway any possible negatives.

UNC-Ch, can you post links of what you are reading that says that Purigen has "minimal" effect on tannis and other organic elements? Everything I have read says that opposite. That is, that it has a significant impact on organics. Seachem itself does not recommend Purigen for blackwater environments (which are heavy in tannins). Also, the point that Rocksor seems to be making is that the reason that the nitrates are reduced with Purigen is that it removes all the organic material that might get transformed into nitrates, that is, before they become nitrates. I am just not seeing how that can be minimal.

This isn't to say Purigen is unsafe for fish, but I like that Nitra-zorb pinpoints nitrates rather than strikes at all the organics, negative and potentially beneficial. Please correct me if I am missing something here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:ion-exchange resin pro and con

Ben it doesnt remove all of it...but i do remember it being used to remove tannins in tanks with new dw

• UNC-CH
  • UNC-CH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

Hi Ben. The link's below. It's an advertisement for purigen that explains it's workings but doesn't explain how it works.

www.aquaessentials.co.uk/seachem-purigen-100ml-bagged-p-103.html

"When ion-exchange resins are filled to capacity by metals and other contaminants, Purigen has barely begun to reach its potential. Purigen generally ignores simple elemental compounds, having an extreme affinity for nitrogenous organics."

If it's not an ion-exchange resin, what's the process it uses to attract nitrogenous organics? Have you had any luck figuring out how it works, Ben?

Maybe it would help me if we defined or listed nitrogenous organics.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

Purigen is a synthetic multi-resin comprised media and works just like carbon. It's safe for your freshwater fish.

www.lenntech.com/library/adsorption/adsorption.htm

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

Thanks Rocksor, it is my fault for introducing the language of "safe" vs. "unsafe". It wasn't quite what I was getting at, but rather, whether or not these products are possible to use in a blackwater setup. At least from what I have read on online forums supported by Seachem, Purigen shouldn't be used as they function at cross-purposes. It seems that the Nitra-zorb might be ok though. I am not sure, but the fact that it pin-points N03 whereas Purigen does not, but has a broader base of "attack" (absorption). To be sure Peat Moss is itself goes through an ion-exchange process but focuses on metals primarily (hence making water softer), but doesn't pinpoint N03. pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/es950569d

Basically I am looking for a product that will function with a blackwater system that will help control nitrate output. I have a ton of plant filters on my largest O's tank which help, but he is a n03 machine compared to my other O, and would like to reduce further if possible, while still maintaining the softer water of a bw system. I am no chemist, so all of this discussion I am finding helpful for understanding.

If you want tannins, do not use carbon or purigen since both strip out the tannins. Neither stops peat moss from removing items that it naturally filter out through water contact.

Nitrate resins are your best bet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0, UNC-CH

• UNC-CH
  • UNC-CH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

Ben, I was curious about how you were maintaining your blackwater environment. Are you using peat pellets in a filter or peat moss?

Thanks Rocksor. That explains a lot to me about how carbon works as well as purigen (to some extent). I suppose the question I still have is if purigen works like carbon, how is it different? That is, why does purigen remove nitrogenous organics and yet carbon (I'm assuming) does not?

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:ion-exchange resin pro and con

Good thread nice info.

Ben nothing to fault at all

UNC-CH wrote: Ben, I was curious about how you were maintaining your blackwater environment. Are you using peat pellets in a filter or peat moss?

Thanks Rocksor. That explains a lot to me about how carbon works as well as purigen (to some extent). I suppose the question I still have is if purigen works like carbon, how is it different? That is, why does purigen remove nitrogenous organics and yet carbon (I'm assuming) does not?

Carbon does remove organic compounds, which is why it will remove foul odors from the tank. The difference between the two that any can tell is that Purigen is man made, whereas carbon naturally occurs.

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

Poseidon2.0 wrote: Basically I am looking for a product that will function with a blackwater system that will help control nitrate output. I have a ton of plant filters on my largest O's tank which help, but he is a n03 machine compared to my other O, and would like to reduce further if possible, while still maintaining the softer water of a bw system. I am no chemist, so all of this discussion I am finding helpful for understanding.

Ever consider a denitrator? They convert nitrates to (ultimately) nitrogen gas and the water they output is acidic. I have had good results from mine, in fact I consider them essential to my enjoyment of this hobby since I have 5 to 20ppm Nitrates in my tap water.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds