ion-exchange resin pro and con

• UNC-CH
  • UNC-CH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

I have looked into those. :) In fact, although I can't remember the name of the brand at the moment (aquaripure?), I looked at the same brand you have. They were nice. I liked how easy they seemed to maintain with regular dosing of vodka or grenadine. But I've taken an interest in my plant filter build for the time being, and any interest I had in the denitrator has taken a back seat to that.

This is just beyond my first week trying nitra-zorb and I'll likely keep using it until my plants can reduce nitrates just as well. But that will likely take at least a month for the roots to get well established, if they can at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

UNC-CH wrote: I have looked into those. :) In fact, although I can't remember the name of the brand at the moment (aquaripure?), I looked at the same brand you have. They were nice. I liked how easy they seemed to maintain with regular dosing of vodka or grenadine. But I've taken an interest in my plant filter build for the time being, and any interest I had in the denitrator has taken a back seat to that.

This is just beyond my first week trying nitra-zorb and I'll likely keep using it until my plants can reduce nitrates just as well. But that will likely take at least a month for the roots to get well established, if they can at all.

Yep, Aquaripure. I'm in favor of any biological based (plant or bacteria) nitrate filter VS chemical nitrate absorbers.

Edit: Why?

Personal preference. I cannot come up with a logical argument against chemical nitrate filters.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

UNC-CH wrote: Ben, I was curious about how you were maintaining your blackwater environment. Are you using peat pellets in a filter or peat moss?

Thanks Rocksor. That explains a lot to me about how carbon works as well as purigen (to some extent). I suppose the question I still have is if purigen works like carbon, how is it different? That is, why does purigen remove nitrogenous organics and yet carbon (I'm assuming) does not?

I will make a post (or revive my older thread) on my peat system, which is an adaptation of Rocksor's coffee maker method in combination with peat pellets in my HOB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

Goranothos wrote:

Poseidon2.0 wrote: Basically I am looking for a product that will function with a blackwater system that will help control nitrate output. I have a ton of plant filters on my largest O's tank which help, but he is a n03 machine compared to my other O, and would like to reduce further if possible, while still maintaining the softer water of a bw system. I am no chemist, so all of this discussion I am finding helpful for understanding.

Ever consider a denitrator? They convert nitrates to (ultimately) nitrogen gas and the water they output is acidic. I have had good results from mine, in fact I consider them essential to my enjoyment of this hobby since I have 5 to 20ppm Nitrates in my tap water.

I have definitely considered these and may eventually get one. My tap water is like yours so w/c's only do so much. I have also considered DIY denitrators as they can be a bit pricy. For now considering some chemical alternatives to add to my organic system (arrowheads and pothos filters).

• UNC-CH
  • UNC-CH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

After Rocksor answered some questions about the similarities between purigen and carbon, I think I might now understand. Both carbon and purigen capture nitrogenous organics ... nothing special about purigen there.

So to make sure I understand, my questions would be: Why do people find that they get lower nitrate levels when using purigen (compared to carbon)? This is one of purigen's main claims ... that it lowers nitrates by capturing organics before they turn into nitrate. Is this because of the increased porosity of purigen (compared to carbon)? Does carbon also absorb nitrogenous organics just like purigen, thus lowering nitrate levels?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: ion-exchange resin pro and con

Lowering nitrate levels is a misnomer. If purigen truly lowered nitrate levels, you could take only water with measurable nitrates, place it in a container, have the water run through a filter with purigen and eventually get 0ppm nitrates.

Purigen may very well capture more and different types of organics than activated carbon. Only Seachem knows the true composition of their product and how it really works.

Article on granulated activated carbon by Dr. Tim Novak, it doesn't really state what dissovle organic compounds are

www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/marineland_carbon.php
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds