Effects of live plants on water chemistry.

• Bri B
  • Bri B's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32

Bri B created the topic: Effects of live plants on water chemistry.

I recently added a nice size Elodea to my oscar tank. The wak I have its base in some large decor has made it be tolerated by my O's so far. Just wondering if there is anything I should be keeping an eye out for or doing differently. The benefits of a live plant are obvious but I'd just like to know if there are any hazards or downside other than them potentially destroying the plant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Effects of live plants on water chemistry.

Way not wak^

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Here is pic. They can't get at the base and outside of staring at it for a few minutes every so often they seem to not even care about it being there so hopefully it stays that way.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Effects of live plants on water chemistry.

There is the benefit of having your nitrate reduced. :) But to make a significant difference, you really need a lot of plants. That's why a lot of people use pothos and other plants in their HOBs. They help with nitrates and phosphates that build up in your water. But even in a heavily planted tank like the 10 gallon I have with 1 betta where nitrate stays low enough so that I could go months without changing the water, water changes are still needed to replenish fresh minerals that get depleted.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Yeah I'm keeping up with my heavy wcs regardless. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need other adjustments. I will look into doing a pothos hob since it's so beneficial. I know somebody possibly you did a nice thread about it. My issue is finding some. Of my 5 local stores only petsmart sells any live plants and they don't have pothos so I'd have to either travel a good bit or get some via online.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:Effects of live plants on water chemistry.

Mike I know this is a subject you have a keen interest in, plants obviously remove nitrates from your tank but do not replace water changes due for the need for mineral replacement. Is it then more if an aesthetic thing or are there other benefits? Good thread Bri.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Thanks ern. I think helping reduce nitrates alone is u huge benefit. Anything else would appear to be icing on the cake. Not to mention it's a beautiful addition to any aquarium.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Effects of live plants on water chemistry.

the only downside of having plants in the tank is it may block or cause trouble with the pump
once the oscar push them around or make them float LOL! but having too many plnts inside
the tank or at the filtration system helps check the nitrate level that may alter the frequency
of water change

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Haha so far so good in that regard Draco. If they start beating it up I'll just put it one of my other tanks. They just kind of get face to face with it occasionally like "hey,what are you doing here" but get back to their normal goofy oscar behavior.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Effects of live plants on water chemistry.

ernie wrote: Mike I know this is a subject you have a keen interest in, plants obviously remove nitrates from your tank but do not replace water changes due for the need for mineral replacement. Is it then more if an aesthetic thing or are there other benefits? Good thread Bri.

For me it helps keep nitrates down between water changes. Darth Vader, my O, has a massive out put. So unless I want to change the water every two or three days, which I don't want to do, the plants help keep nitrates down to an acceptable level (the water out of tap is also 10ppm nitrate). My tap water adds to the TDS which I reduce using peat extract. So I really like to keep my w/c to once a week. If my water parameters out of the tap were different (softer and/or lower TDS) I would probably not worry about Blackwater conditions as much and be more inclined to change my water more than once a week (90%).

Everyones water will be different. It is a delicate balance depending on your situation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds