Help with getting Crystal clear water.

• Cherasdad
  • Cherasdad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Cherasdad created the topic: Help with getting Crystal clear water.

7 months into my first Oscar, and things are going well. Running 55g with 2 AC 110s. Had a 110 along with a Penguin 350 originally, but really battled high nitrates for months. I love the 110 so much, I decided to swap out the 350 with the 110, using Purigen instead of the carbon that comes with the 110. I can't believe how the nitrates are now controlled, and the chemistry is now perfect. I use a Zeo-carb in the other 110 as my middle media, along with the sponge and the rings that came with both. I have an inch and a half of gravel for substrate.

I only have the one Oscar (named "Emmy" by daughter) with a few plants...no other fish...and he is healthy as can be. The only issue I am having is I cannot quite get the water absolutely crystal clear, although it is very close. I am considering moving to a 75g, but wonder if that will make that much of a difference. I realize I will have to do a bit more maintenance in the 55, but am ok with that. If he grows to be a monster, that will make the decision easier. I am reluctant to add more filtration, as I think the two 110s should be sufficient.

Gladly take any advice, as am only in my first year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Help with getting Crystal clear water.

posting any picture of your set up will help us...

sometimes, throwing away established old fiber wool cause the cloudiness...
new fiber wool works poorly in catching suspended particles...

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Help with getting Crystal clear water.

When you say the water is unclear, are you talking about it being cloudy, or small particles in the water? Sometimes you get lots of tiny oxygen bubbles that can make water look slightly unclear, maybe this is what you are saying? If you have got a good camera that can take clear images, can you post a photo for us please?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Cherasdad
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Cherasdad replied the topic: Help with getting Crystal clear water.

Not cloudy, just barely a haze. Am looking for perfection. Have had company come in and say how clear the water looks, but again, I am looking for "floating on air" clarity. Am I asking for too much?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Help with getting Crystal clear water.

Assuming that your water quality is good, I think that it will be very easy to get paranoid about nothing really. If the water isn't cloudy, and you haven't got lots of debris floating around then I should just try and ignore it, especially if people have already commented and how clear the water looks.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Cherasdad
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Not sure what you mean by fiber wool. I am not using floss, if that's what you mean?

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Help with getting Crystal clear water.

Cherasdad wrote: Not sure what you mean by fiber wool. I am not using floss, if that's what you mean?

the more we need to know what are in your filtration system..
our filter need the following media...
fiber wool or foam to catch the crap and pooh
ceramic ring and the like to host beneficial bacteria
more fiber floss to polish the water and catch suspended particles
and more biological media we can accommodate to host more bb

• Cherasdad
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Am sorry, I didn't clarify the AC 110, I assumed the media that comes with it is well known. It has a big block sponge, ceramic rings and I am using 2 Purigen bags as the middle level filtration in one of the 110s, and Zeo-carb as the middle in the other.

• Thank you received: 3

L.West replied the topic: Help with getting Crystal clear water.

I use two of the AC110's on my 75 gallon tank. My media is: large sponge, media bag of Ehiflav, purigen and then media bag with the ceramic biomax rings. My tank is always crystal clear. The one time I had a haze to it - it was from me overfeeding - I cut back on feeding and it cleared right up.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Help with getting Crystal clear water.

What is your water change schedule? How much and how often? Are you using a gravel vac? I use 2 sponges in my AC110 to help polish the water better, but I am running an FX5 as well to take care of the bio media. If I were using 2 AC110's I would use a sponge in each one and then fill the rest of the way to the top with bio max. Do you have nitrates in your tap water? Why are you using purigen? You should be changing enough water to keep the nitrates low without the use of such products to artificially lower it. How often are you doing filter maintenance?

Edit: question of nitrates in your water was referring to if you had nitrates in your tap water.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds