Prime

• Broom
  • Broom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Broom replied the topic: Prime

Just tested the tap water and it's 0 ppm. I thought I'd retest the tank and it's still showing 0.5 ppm so i don't think it's a false test.

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Prime

Cleaning the tube reduced the population of the heterotrophic bacteria in your tank. They were part of that brown sludge in your tubes. The fact that you had a white bloom is evidence of the reduced population. They are responsible for eating organic compounds in your aquarium, and the byproduct is turned into water and carbon dioxide. As the organic compounds are reduced in the aquarium, the population of the heterotrophic bacteria die off, and get eaten or decay and turn into ammonia.

Easy fix:

1. Add Prime dosage for the total volume of your aquarium every 2 days. This will turn the ammonia to ammonium, which will still show up on the test. Keep doing this every 2 days. Do a 75% water change when it hits above 0.5ppm. Test ammonia and nitrites before a water change.

Harder fix

1. Do a 50% water change to bring ammonia down to 0.25ppm every time it goes up to 0.5ppm.

Permanent fix

1. Add more biological media to your filters or an extra filter with biological media. Heterotrophic bacteria will live in your filters if provided the space. By giving them this space, you can clean your tubes and impeller without having to worry about a white cloud bloom.

• Broom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I've done a 50% water change today and dosed with prime. I'll skip the feeding tomorrow and check the ammonia level again daily until things improve.

Again, thank you for the help I really do appreciate it. I'll let you know how things improve over the next week or so.

• Broom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

So it's been almost a week now and there is still amonia present. It's seems to be reducing by itself now as I tested yesterday and it was .5 and today it's .25ppm. I now have trace of nitrite and my nitrate is between 5 and 10 ppm so I'm hoping things are getting back on track.

I keep dosing prime every other day. I'm hoping things will be back on track by the end of next week.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds