New Albino Oscar Water Levels

• Crystal_33
  • Crystal_33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Crystal_33 created the topic: New Albino Oscar Water Levels

I am new to Oscar ownership and after the first one we bought died I am trying to be extra cautious with our new arrival. The previous Oscar was also an albino but was much smaller than this one and not nearly as active. I am no sure but think he may have been sick when we brought him home and only lasted 5 days before i found him at the bottom barely moving and soon after he died. The albino we purchased Friday looked and behaved so differently its hard to believe they came from the same store. The new guy is very active and a great eater. My question really is exactly what my water levels should be at and how to maintain them so that we dont wind up with another dead Oscar.

The tank is a 65 gallon long and was cycled for 4 weeks with approx. 30 guppies in it which have now been moved to other tanks as this guy seems to be quite content on his own.
Filtration right now is 2 - 40-60g HOB filters which will be changed to an external cartridge filter within the next couple weeks

Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 10
Nitrite - 0.1
pH - 7.5

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: New Albino Oscar Water Levels

Hello and welcome to OFL. Your tank is suitable for now, it will be too small next year this time, maybe sooner. Your water appears to be good. Not sure how you are determining the .1 nitrite. What are you using to test? A constant or average level of 10 nitrate is very good. Strive to keep it under 20. For filter, I hope you mean external canister filter, not cartridge. Oscars require quite excessive filtration. The combo of canister and large hob is a good way to keep the tank healthy. The important thing is clean water, done thru frequent and large volume water changes. You cant do too much, but easy to become lax and do too little. I suggest get in the habit of a large change every 4-5 days. A tip for albino/lutino care... keep lighting low, they are light sensitive. Too bright or too many hours of light will damage vision. Good luck, anything you need just ask.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Crystal_33

• Crystal_33
  • Crystal_33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Crystal_33 replied the topic: New Albino Oscar Water Levels

Im glad to hear my water is good. I am using the nutrafin tests that they sell in my local pet store for nitrate, nitrite, pH, and ammonia for the time being but will be ordering an API master test kit today which will hopefully make the water testing a bit easier to understand. I did mean a canister filter and it is up and working just have to get a couple of clips replaced for the top and it will be going in. The new guy is still very active and eats every morsel that goes into the tank. We did originally have a florescent tube light but found it to be way too bright so went and purchased one that is much dimmer and he seems to like it just fine. As for the amount of time it is turned on, I usually turn it on around 10 am when i feed him and it gets shut off around dinner time (approx. 6 pm).
Thank you for the welcome and also for your advice. I am hoping to have this new guy with us for quite some time so I would like to learn as much as possible as we got into this completely uneducated on the species and didnt realize how finicky they could be.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds