Trying to cycle my new tank

• sammie
  • sammie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

sammie created the topic: Trying to cycle my new tank

Today would be 2 weeks since I set up my 75g aquarium. I currently have 2 oscars in there. Yesterday on my test strip I was reading somewhere between .5 to 1.0 ppm of nitrites. So I did a 50% water change. Also adding Stress coat, quick start, and stress zyme.

Today I tested the ammonia level and It was at about .25ppm. For nitrites, it was about .5ppm.

Should I keep doing water changes? Or do I let it go like that until the beneficial bacteria build up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Trying to cycle my new tank

First, test strips are notoriously inaccurate. The API liquid test kit is most trusted. You may well need 2 months or more to fully cycle the system. Ammonia and nitrite are both very toxic, they need to be kept under .50 each. You have no option but to do frequent water changes. IF you have a friend, or perhaps a local shop that could lend/sell you some established bio media, that would help speed things up. Most used and trusted water conditioner is Seachem Prime in liquid form, or Safe in powder form. You can also salt the tank to protect fish from nitrite poisoning. Regular aquarium salt, 1tblsp per 5g of water. Full dose over a 48hr period.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• sammie
  • sammie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

sammie replied the topic: Trying to cycle my new tank

I didn't think the test strips seemed very accurate. I have a master test kit coming in the mail.

I went to the local fish store and they gave me a piece of material they had in one of there fish tanks for a month. It reminds me of a piece of foam, not quite a sponge. But I took it and cut pieces of it up and put it the container in my filter that holds my fluval bio rings.

Is this on the right track to grow good bacteria?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Trying to cycle my new tank

Bacteria will grow without seeded media. If the foam did not dry out before you put it into the tank, the cycling process should be faster.

You need to keep ammonia and nitrites no higher than 0.25ppm throughout the cycling process. You do this by doing water changes. You also need to test your tap water for ammonia and nitrites. This will let you know how low you can bring nitrites and ammonia down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sammie

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds