Looking for general knowledge

• Da Grump
  • Da Grump's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Da Grump created the topic: Looking for general knowledge

Hello. I am happy to say my Oscar is healthy again. I am doing frequent massive water changes. I want to thank everyone who gave me advise when I first posted here under emergency.
OK I would like to know what all the chemical readings mean and what levels of everything my tank should be at.
It is a 75 gallon tank with a single 9" long Oscar. The filter is rated at 350 gallons and I have 2 bio wheels set up with it.
What is the proper ph, nitrare, amonia , etc levels required for Oscars health ( his name is Oscar Fishtorius )?
Per suggestion I have purchased the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. ( threw away the test strips).
Any way thanks once again for all the help I am soooo glad I found this site.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Looking for general knowledge

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all toxic to varying degrees. Ammonia and nitrite are very dangerous. A healthy tank with adequate filtration should have zero of each. Nitrate, while less acutely dangerous is still toxic and harmful at elevated levels. The general advice given is to maintain a nitrate level of under 20ppm. The less the better. Nitrate is managed via water changes. At a reading of 20, a 50% water change will put you at 10. Nitrate builds continuously. You need significantly more filtration. Filter ratings dont apply to messy cichlid tanks. You want a more efficient filter of larger capacity. Quality canister like Filstar XPL or Eheim 2217.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Da Grump

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds