PH and KH

• Shaun70
  • Shaun70's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 4

Shaun70 created the topic: PH and KH

Here's one for all the water techo's out there. I was just wanting to get a look at peoples opinion in regards to PH and hardness.

I'll describe my situation. Many of you may have seen the thread about my new 90g setup. All went perfect as far as the Nitrogen cycle goes, no spikes blah blah blah. Nitrate sitting at 5ppm now. BUT what I have noticed is that my PH dropped after a water change. (after the first 50% change) it went to abt 6.2. I have it stable now at 6.8 after bringing it back up over a few days with Seachem KH buffer but I hate using this crap.

My tap water has ZERO GH and KH and a PH of 7,, as you could imagine this is doing my head in. I have crushed shell and coral rubble in the sump but it hasn't really kicked in yet to get any sort of KH buffer going, although the GH has risen to abt 180ppm, no KH yet.
Question, do I wait until I start to see a rise in KH by a couple of degrees before my next water change???
And its not like I can pre buffer up my tap water when the PH is already at 7, where the fish have been used to all their lives
My old 55g buffered perfectly at my taps PH of 7 (with coral and shell) so I wasn't concerned with PH shock after doing a water change, sometimes if I did a big change it would drop every slow slightly but would catch up very quickly as the KH was abt 4.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: PH and KH

My water is very similar to yours. Neutral Ph, limited (3) GH. Suits Oscar just fine, even my Centrals are all good. I wouldnt be concerned, nor try to adjust.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shaun70

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:PH and KH

In a low KH on tap water you have to make regular water changes so that the KH doesn't get to zero and the Ph decreases suddently to very acidic levels.

"TapatalKing"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shaun70

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds