is bottled water reverse osmosis

• jnet
  • jnet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 182

jnet created the topic: is bottled water reverse osmosis

just what the title asks, I am guessing some of it is and some isnt. Im just thinking of setting up a small tank and was thinking whether it is worth getting an osmosis filter thingy or just getting the water in. Its going to be a marine 18gal, 60litre tank I want to do weekly water changes but wondering how to go about the water. Some say use tap water but leave it to sit over night with tap safe and salt. Where as others say buy in water and others say get your own reverse osmosis equipment.

For my oscars I just use tap water with the tap safe added, I dont do many water changes in the new tank it seems to run it self.

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:is bottled water reverse osmosis

Its not the same. Bottled water is similar to tap water that has several minerals in it while RO is water with no minerals at all. Fish need minerals. In marine tanks after RO you have to add salt.

"Tapatalking"

• jnet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

jnet replied the topic: is bottled water reverse osmosis

yes thats what I thought which confused me a little because it then says that a lot of the corals need the minerals that you remove doing reverse osmosis and so you need to re add to the tank.

I was thinking if it was better I would invest in the kit to do it for both tanks but in some ways I am thinking I might just go with tap water and see how it goes. Of what I can understand it just causes algae blooms and can be worse. But if I treat for chlorine then add salt and leave over night surely that water will be alright. Just thinking if I have to go to the lfs every week I know there will be weeks I can not make it. Then I would rather do waterchange than not as I am hoping to go with a live rock setup and not run too much as a filter. In which case the waterchanges will be super important.

I understand that copper is quiet bad for many invertebrates and corals, Im always concerned about using copper based products with my plecs and catfish. Is there any way of telling how much copper is in tap water?

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:is bottled water reverse osmosis

Please read some articles about marine tanks. You are going for a disaster if you do not have proper water. I've never had a salt water tank but some of my friends have and they never use tap or bottled water. They use RO water adding minerals before using it.

"Tapatalking"

• jnet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

jnet replied the topic: is bottled water reverse osmosis

yea Im doing all the reading up now thats why Im saying alot of people do use tapwater than treat it add salt leave it over night. Im not planning on getting this done overnight. I want to do weekly WC so just not sure it will be likely I go to the petshops that often how do you store RO I mean could I leave it outside in water tight containers dont want it in giant gallon tanks all over my house.

I have the tank heater and a pump for water flow. I still need lights, small filter of sorts.

Think Im going with lava rock and live rock mix people advice its fine for lava rock will not have live stuff so longer to setup and doesnt match but Im not too fussed about a colour match.

I want 2clown fish and possibly a small blennie but may be not. (Wont add all together) Might go with damsel fish but my partner prefers clowns might only go with one.

a shrimp maybe 2 hermit crabs maybe 2 might just be 1 and snails but small critters total of 5 over a long time setting up

than a star fish maybe.

This is all things I am thinking of setting up after xmas just planning at the moment. and I dont mind if it takes 6months or more to do than I want a few corals its going to mainly for the corals in the long run. just easy ones.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds