White on my oscars fins. I don't think it's ich

• Katie94
  • Katie94's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Katie94 created the topic: White on my oscars fins. I don't think it's ich

So I have 2 oscars in my tank, and I'm having trouble with my water quality. So I have a high ph (because I salted my water recently thinking my albino had ich. I also have high nitrate and nitrite according to my test strips and so I have had a nitrite bag the one you put in your filter in there for about a week now and it hasn't done anything to my levels. HELP! And I've been doing 25% water changed weekly. I feed them frozen cubes of brine shrimp as well as frozen fish. I didn't want to give them live food as I don't want them to get aggressive to tank mates. My black oscar has just developed a white spot over night on his fin. I have pictures but I don't know how to post them! I also had white spots on my albino and they haven't gone away even after treating my water. If someone could try to decider through this mess of a rant what's happening it would be much appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: White on my oscars fins. I don't think it's ich

Welcome to our community.

First things first, what are the readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

Also, how big is your aquarium and what sort of filtration system are you using?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: White on my oscars fins. I don't think it's ich

Welcome to OFL Katie. Ich looks like the entire fish has been under a salt shaker. Until you provide more info, and pics would be a great help, change more water. Your toxins are high, drive them down with water changes. Large volume(75%) more frequent, 2nd day or even every day.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Katie94
  • Katie94's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Katie94 replied the topic: White on my oscars fins. I don't think it's ich

Hello! And thank you so I just did a water check:
Nitrate: 80
Nitrite: Higher than 10 it's all it reads
Hardness: 75
Chlorine: 0
Alkalinity: 0
Ph: 6.2

I have a 55 gallon tank
With a Marineland filter that is for up to 75 gallons.
I have the nitrate bag in the filter right now it's the dual sided one. My heater is on 82 from when I salted the tank, should I lower that as well?

I will do a 75% water change today!
How do you add pictures on here?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: White on my oscars fins. I don't think it's ich

Okay, first things first, the tank is big enough for one adult Oscar only. It sounds as if this is a prime example of what normally happens when the tank and filtration is not efficient enough for the fish you are keeping. The best advice I could give you is to rehome one of the Oscars, or get a tank twice the size.

Nitrate is far too high, that is going to stress your Oscars. Nitrate is very high and dangerous. Having said that, your pH should stop any poisoning from ammonia or nitrite so basically it cancels it out. Having said that, the tank and filtration is still grossly inadequate.

If you go to a website called www.photobucket.com , you can upload your pictures completely free of charge. You can then use the code provided when you click on one of the photos to insert a photo within your thread.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds