× This forum is for photographs of Oscars ONLY

dingy looking oscars!!

• shenlonco
  • shenlonco's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

shenlonco created the topic: dingy looking oscars!!

:( I got these as babies and as they grew a litle i always posted they have lost all there color through the time.... The one big one is like 5 inches and the others smaller some a lot smaller 2- 1/1 to 3 inches only?

:( I have to say my oscars look like the dullest non colored Tiger oscars i have ever seen...I am disapointed and think i want to start over with a new batch as i think these must have came from poor breeding stock as i was thinking and posting from when they started growing a month or so ago :(
They look colorfull more in the photos but in the tank they have this smoky brown black smeared like a coating over there bodies kind of like there in a stocking covering there colors and the red on them is orange and hardly any on there bodies compaired to photos i see all the time of other peoples fish.

I don't know i keep giving them longer and longer time to grow larger but they just don't get the colors i see on the web in photos or videos i can't believe how colorfull most tiger oscars are I think they lose color as they grow larger... do they?

one i got from a totally different shop is almost all black!!! (see photo)

Very upset with my purchase of fish the shop must get junk or a mircle happens when they grow large but i doubt it. :(

Attachment oscartos011.jpg not found

Attachment oscartos004.jpg not found

Attachment oscartos009.jpg not found

Attachment oscartos002.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brandon replied the topic: Re: dingy looking oscars!!

They don't look that bad! when I got Kraken he was pretty much all black except for a few spots...and the older he has gotten the more color he has gained! My mom and dad hated him when I got him they said he was ugly...and he was from being the beat up fish in the tank. But he has gained alot of color and looks nothing like when I got him see

some are like humans I guess...late bloomers lol. Kraken used to be really dull. But food and good water helped alot. But just like people they all differ and wild Oscars don't really have a whole lot of color they tend to be more dull looking in my opinion.

• shenlonco
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

shenlonco replied the topic: Re: dingy looking oscars!!

Yea that's what i am thinking mine may be wild ones who knows what they get in the shops these days they want everything that's as cheap as they can get.

Its possible where is your shop located? I have heard of it happening in Florida. Seeing as how they can live in the local waters easily there. I know we get the wild strains in the shops here in Georgia sometime.

• shenlonco
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

I am in NJ but i found out from other people the place i got my fish from the owner is a cheap skate and only buy's very low priced animals!

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Re: dingy looking oscars!!

shenlonco wrote: Yea that's what i am thinking mine may be wild ones who knows what they get in the shops these days they want everything that's as cheap as they can get.

here i differ i opinion, getting F0 specimens, wild caught ones, are always gonna cost you more...
I suspect your fish will change colour over time, but it's sad if you look at them and think that thery're really not the bomb. :( :( :(

I love my Red, but as he turned out to become bronze i was a bit disappointed in the beginning for i liked the red on him, when i first bought him.
But that came to pass after i finally got my red tiger and now the bronze colour of my red really makes the red in the tiger come out.
btw i love those dark coloured fish very much and wouldt love to have one that has no red at all. B) B) B)
But again thats very personal.

• shenlonco
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

I ain't given up on them just yet who knows what will happen with there colors ... I just remember when i had oscars in the past a long time ago they where very brightly colored.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: dingy looking oscars!!

Oscars can vary widely as far as color and markings.

your oscars don't look bad at all.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Thank you received: 35

Kaiser replied the topic: Re: dingy looking oscars!!

That's the spirit! Don't give up on them, they're still young. Keep feeding them the best quality food you can and make sure your water is always in pristine condition and I bet they'll turn out great when they get older.

:)

@ Noddy I completely agree I really love the dark ones too. I always like the all natural look they have. Kraken is dark and used to not have alot of color. But look at him now. They may change but if not don't be disappointed and go into it openly. You may very well get attached to your little guys! SO give it time and feed them good stuff and keep up on the water conditions! I really like your oscars though! Your five incher reminded me of my older one (Titan)!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds